We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving with Air Asia, how to get to monorail

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving with Air Asia, how to get to monorail

Hi All,

I am sorry in advance if this is covered in a previous forum, I have gone right through tripadvisor and can't seem to find a exact answer for my question and hoping someone local could help me.

I am arriving on airasia to KL in Oct '14. I am planning on using the monorail to get to my hotel. The issue I keep bumping into, is, am I able to get directly onto the monorail from the budget airport in KL? Or do I need a linking bus/train to get to the main monorail line?

Extra information: I am staying at the Impiana KLCC Hotel.

Thanks so much in advance for your assistance.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
437 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving with Air Asia, how to get to monorail

The klia2 airport is situated outside of KL city and not connected with KL monorail. How many are you traveling? It is advisable to take the taxi. If you still want to take the monorail, from klia2, you can either take ERL or bus to KL Sentral and take KL monorail from there.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,160 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving with Air Asia, how to get to monorail

This is a pretty standard question that is asked all the time. Generally the recommendation here is to take a taxi from KLIA2 direct to your hotel for the following reasons:

1) KLIA2 is 55km away from the city.

2) There is no monorail from the airport. There is a high speed train called the KLIA Ekspres that costs RM35 per person, but it does not go to the city centre but instead to the main train terminal called KL Sentral; 5km or so from the city centre.

3) From KL Sentral you can then take the LRT to KLCC station. It is then a long walk through a shopping mall and a convention centre to get to the Impiana. Not really very fun after a long flight and if you have a lot of luggage.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving with Air Asia, how to get to monorail

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I don't want to get a taxi as it will cost me too much money, I was wondering if there is a bus/train to get from the budget airport to the main airport, from there I feel confident in making my way to my hotel, I only have a backpack and don't mind long walks.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,423 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving with Air Asia, how to get to monorail

Hi

KLIA2 is not a budget airport - it is one of the 2 terminals at KUL. KLIAEkpress covers both KLIA1 and kLIA2 terminals.

You get the train to KL Sentral then walk via the NU Mall to KL Sentral monorail then off you go. This will cost around 35myr [AU$11] for the train and 1-3myr [less than a dollar] for the monorail depending on where you will get off. Buses run from KLIA1 and KLIA2 to KL Sentral and cost round 9-12myr [AU$4] per passenger

Impiana KLCC is not on the monorail route!! The nearest station is Raja Chulan which is a really difficult walk from, but would take around 10mins, back onto the Jalan Sultan Ismail, then up Jalan Raja Chulan and throught to Jalan Pinang . You could get off at Bukit Bintang, but still going to take 20mins up to the Pavillion, then into the covered walk way. You could just get on another train at KL Sentral getting off at KLCC, but again another 10min walk.

From KL Sentral it might be easier to get a taxi, but what with the 35myr [AU$11] train ticket and the 25myr [AU$8] taxi fare, then the 60myr is only 15myr [AU$5] cheaper than the budget taxi from the airport (75myr or AU$24) so would be better [cost effective and quicker] just to get a taxi directly from the airport!!

A taxi is not only not that expensive, it is actually much, much easier compared with what you are actually planning!!

As questions similar to yours get asked just about daily we have set up some Top Questions FAQs in the right panel part of this screen. Everyone forgets or misses the Top or Frequently Asked Questions/FAQs [especially if using smart phone / tablets / tablet apps], which are packed with lots of really great information about lots of really useful information!! If you are accessing TA via the smart phone / tablet app’ you won’t see the very informative Green banner or the FAQs in the normal app view on your phone, so suggest that you view the app it as full site mode / desk top view; or just use a laptop or pc to enjoy the information that has been collected. The Top Questions / FAQs ---> are on the right of all forum pages, you may have to click on ‘show more’ to reveal the full list!

-----> ----> ---> --> ->

you will find the Top questions about KUALA LUMPUR and the FAQs which can give a lot of the information you will need to answer your questions [and probably a bit more], in particular ---->

-- AIRPORT INFORMATION --

-> FAQ Airport/City Time tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g298570-c146437/Kua…

-> FAQ Airport/City cost/options tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298570-s301/Kuala-Lu… which has the full list of all options and costs from both KLIA1 and KLIA2 terminals at KUL and the regional airport of Subang.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
437 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving with Air Asia, how to get to monorail

The cheapest but not the easiest is to take bus from KLIA2 towards KL sentral train station. It cost about RM10. From KL sentral, take lrt to klcc station and walk towards Impiana KLCC.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,160 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving with Air Asia, how to get to monorail

There is no real point going from the KLIA2 terminal to the KLIA terminal if your objective is to go to KL. If you don't want the taxi or the RM35 KLIA Ekspres train, then take the Skybus from KLIA2 to KL Sentral train station. It costs RM8 and will take you about an hour/1hr 15mins to get to KL Sentral.

http://skybus.com.my/

Once at KL Sentral, take the LRT to KLCC station. At KLCC station, walk through the shopping mall and convention centre to get to Impiana.

Alternatively from KL Sentral, walk through the Nu Sentral mall to get to the monorail station. Take the monorail to Raja Chulan station. Walk pass Wisma Genting and Wisma Cosway and go up the escalator and take the air-conditioned elevated pedestrian walkway to Impiana Hotel.

Edited: 28 June 2014, 15:47
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving with Air Asia, how to get to monorail

24 bucks door to door in a cab is a bargain and a no stress option

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,605 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving with Air Asia, how to get to monorail

Depending on when you are coming, the monorail will not go from KL Sentral to Raja Chulan due to the sinkhole at Pudu.

Until they fixed the problem and declare the monorail track safe from collapse at least.

If you take the monorail, you will have to get off and transfer to the temporary shuttle bus that will traverse the detours between the two stations, likely to be jam packed with traffic.

Australind...
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving with Air Asia, how to get to monorail

if you want to get there cheapest firstly and then easiest of the cheap options i would take the skybus for 8or 9rm depending on what bus- skybus 9rm red buses or 8rm for the yellow bus... only difference is bus colour, different companies both go to the same place (kl sentral station) and then a taxi from kl sentral to your hotel, should be no more than 15-20rm in the red budget taxi at bad traffic (off the meter) and usually a bit cheaper with the meter but i would suggest if the wait isn't too long do the voucher taxi and save yourself the walk and hassle for the sake of saving a couple of bucks. if you need to save every cent catch the lrt to klcc and walk from there but it will be a hassle for the sake of a $5 taxi ride in air con :-) cheaper if travel with others :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving with Air Asia, how to get to monorail

we usually take the star shuttle bus in to KL.

this is the bus option that many airport workers seem to take in/out of the airport.

have not used this service since KLIA2 opened.

from the LCCT, we paid RM$18/one way to our hotel in KL.

according to the website the fare is RM$12/one way from the airport to Puduraya in the city (ask about drop off to your hotel).

http://www.klia2.info/bus-services

klia2.info/buses/…ticket-fare