We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short connection time at KLIA - your experience?

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Short connection time at KLIA - your experience?

We will be travelling London - KL- Langkawi and then returning Penang - KL - london in February. The connection times at KLIA are 1:15 and 1:20 hrs. These seem to be very short but the sticky above suggests that these shojld be OK. All legs are MAS and were booked via the MAS website.

On the inbound, if we miss our connection in the morning there are plenty of flights in the day to Langkawi so that should not be a problem. But for the return if we miss our midnight flight KL - London the next flight is at 10 in the morning.

It seems that these short connection times are very vulnerable to headwinds and other delaying factors. I would be interested to hear of your experience with such short connections. Did you make it or not?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,538 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short connection time at KLIA - your experience?

You can use flightstats website to see the on time flight statistics of your langkawi KL flight

Australia
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short connection time at KLIA - your experience?

Are you saying you have 5 mins between your flights? This is cutting it fine - what happens if your delayed and unlikely your bags could even get on to your langkawi flight I.e unloading and loading would take more than 5 mins. Also, you normally have a cut off time for a flight so 5mins before wouldn't happen. Only time I ever saw a MAS flight wait is for a flight that was their fault and they were all business class passengers to Paris.

Also, London flights will normally come in at M and shorter flights leave from H if this is the case taking the train and walking there would take up more than your 5mins.

Not sure what sticky you read but I don't think you have enough time. Hope this helps - did you book these yourself or an agent?

Cheers

Or am I reading it wrong on your times??

Edited: 04 July 2014, 15:33
Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short connection time at KLIA - your experience?

Sorry. My connection time (the time gap between flights) is 1hr 15 mins on the inbound and 1hr20mins on the return. Hope this is clearer.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short connection time at KLIA - your experience?

Also all 4 flights use terminal M at KLIA

Australia
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short connection time at KLIA - your experience?

Oh sorry I was thinking maybe I was wrong lol

1hr 15 is definitely ok - just check your bags right through and go to your next gate. Being its all in the same area you will be fine. In all my travels with MAS they are normally on time even with a head wind - if you have it pushing from behind you normally get there a little quicker.

Cheers

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short connection time at KLIA - your experience?

I often fly Penang - KL - Heathrow and have never, in 10 years, had a problem with 1hour 15 minutes. Your bags automatically go straight through and it really doesn't take long to get between the gates. At Penang you use the domestic gate for departure so don't clear immigration until you get to KL. There it doesn't take long. Don't stress yourself. Enjoy your holiday :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Short connection time at KLIA - your experience?

Hi,

agree, your window for both inbound and outbound are fine.

Yep as advised, relax and enjoy your holiday.

When you checked in LHR, your checked lugggage should be tagged to LGK already,and possibly boarding pass for your KUL to LGK issued.

Yep, MH flight come into KLIA.

Your MH plane from LHR usually taxi to apron at bay at Satellite("C"), where by one takes the aero train to the contact pier,then proceed to Level 3 for domestic connection--here you will come to passport/immigration control for transit passenger, after this it is either gate A or B for your flight to LGK.

Where @jacks24 mentioned "H"- this is the North Side of contact pier,where "G" is the South side of Contact pier.

As both MH flights from LHR,either MH1 or MH3 are using A380, it will come into "C"..as H is usually narrow bodied aircraft,and G- for the Boeing 737/747. As you mentioned connection in morning for inbound-that will be MH3 , you are coming into KUL from LHR.

Then where mentioned for return..window is 1hr 20mins,before your MH2 to LHR at 2355hrs..i.e. flight from PEN coming into KUL ..?? think you got it the other way round..if you are on flight MH1167 from PEN,then your window for return is 1hr 15mins,and inbound is 1 hr 20mins, viz. MH3(LHR to KUL) then MH1430(KUL to LGK).

Think this is clearer now.

Have a safe and pleasant trip and great holiday in Malaysia.

Cheerio.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short connection time at KLIA - your experience?

Thanks guys for your reassurance. And MKiara, you are right about the timings.

I was hoping we could do the immigration bit at Penang (departure airport) but, whatever. I seem to remember the last time we transitted, a very fit young MAS ground staff member "ran" us through the transit process and I am sure they will take care of us this time. Howvever, 10 years later, I don't run so fast!

I shall be focussing over the next 7 months on Rendang and Laksa, rather than missed connections!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Short connection time at KLIA - your experience?

'I was hoping we could do the immigration bit at Penang (departure airport) but, whatever.'

Your flight from Penang to KL is a domestic flight.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,980 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short connection time at KLIA - your experience?

Hi

We have done the Penang to KUL to LHR transit many times.

Immigration is in KUL and 1hr 15mins is fine!