We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unmarried Couple Staying in Kuala Lumpur

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
1 post
49 reviews
Save Topic
Unmarried Couple Staying in Kuala Lumpur

I'm moving to Kuala Lumpur to be a teacher. Me and my boyfriend are both atheist, but he is technically Muslim by birth and is Jordanian. I want him to come visit me and stay with me, and my potential western room mates. I'm wondering if this will be legal, first because he is a male, second because he's technically Muslim, and third because we're not married. I know the're is a parallel law system in Malaysia, but does this apply to him if he's a non Malaysian Muslim? or it applies just because he's Muslim?

Also, if it is illegal and impossible for him to stay with me, are we able to get a hotel if he is Muslim and not married, even if he's not Malaysian

Thanks!

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,156 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unmarried Couple Staying in Kuala Lumpur

Syariah law applies to all muslims whether Malaysian or not. As a non-muslim you are not affected by this law.

Somebody has to complain to the religious authorities, in order for anything to happen. Tourists staying in good class hotels are unlikely to be troubled, as who would want to report them?