We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money changers - sad story

Perth Hills...
11 posts
Save Topic
Money changers - sad story

Met a lady who thought it would be better to change all her money at the airport and local shopping centre in Australia before she left for KL. Rate was very low. Money changers in Megamall Mid Valley are excellent - there are two side by side and the rate is the true rate and excellent!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money changers - sad story

I suppose that's what you get for not doing your research and jumping in to the first offer that comes along.

Perth Hills...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Money changers - sad story

Yes but there are a lot of people who believe people in glass boxes who seem to be authorities on the subject. Also, there are many people who don't know how to use the Internet and checkout Trip Advisor. This website is really magic in delivering explanations and answers to the unknown for us - how did we survive without it?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,444 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money changers - sad story

how did we survive . . . make money changes at home rich!

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money changers - sad story

Money changers at the airport and also KL Sentral are really low. I've always found Mid Valley to be the best rates in the city, there are 3 money changers on LG floor, all giving the same good rate.

Perth Hills...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Money changers - sad story

OK didn't realise there were 3 not 2. This is another good reason I stay at the Cititel Hotel (2nd time in 2 years) in the complex - you have everything at your doorstep, literally. Amazing to catch a lift down from your room to the lobby - walk down a corridor and you are in one of the biggest shopping malls in the world - which happens to be linked the most fantastic designer mall The Gardens Mall. I could live in this oasis! $7 (guaranteed) by one of the hotel taxis and you are in the heart of KL - forget all the travel by other transport it wastes time and don't forget this is a hot humid country. I used taxis all the time and really enjoyed the conversations with the drivers comparing our countries and our way of life. I did not experience one problem and saved a lot of energy waiting around train stations etc.

Will I go back? Absolutely. This hotel has a heart, and as a single woman travelling, they made me feel very welcome. The staff would touch their heart with their hand when saying good morning and thank you etc and project a huge smile. I even had a welcome note from the housekeeper on the desk in my room with a little pink paper bird. Amazing staff.

For me, I like comfort, happy people, respect, air-conditioning, great food and top locations and this hotel and the Mid Valley Mega Mall ticks all the boxes.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money changers - sad story

I change money at the money changer on the corner of Jalan Bukit Bintang and Jalan Sultan Ismail where the old Maybank used to be. Good rates and no passport required, convenient.

here
Level Contributor
47 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money changers - sad story

Everyone does everything different and you post a topic about someone you don't even know and seem to promote some mall in almost every post you do.

NO internet, no research? Then it is, what it is. LIFE. Will 'they' do it again? Probably.

Research involves research. Sumatra forest fires if you dint know can exacerbate asthma. NOthing to do with malls.

Perth Hills...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Money changers - sad story

BBB byeeeeeee

Australia
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money changers - sad story

The mid valley mall does have some of the best money changers - so that isnt promoting something that isn't true.

As I have said previously I always check XE.com and allow a 2c difference what I can get - I know this is what I will get and will check all money changers that I know give decent rates and go with the one with the best rate :D

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money changers - sad story

There is a money trader which is even better in Old KL. It is called SYARIKAT P.A JAFARDEEN SDN.BHD.

I only found this through my taxi driver/ tour guide Wan. If anyone is looking for a good driver/ tour guide who is friendly and is very good at English please message me for details.