We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuala Lumpur Airport

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
58 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Kuala Lumpur Airport

I need some help with accommodation!

I have tried to book a room for the night near the airport but have had to cancel due to location inside of the international terminal.

We are flying into Kuala Lumpur airport domestic from Penang at 9:30 pm & flying out 9:00 am from the international airport. Can some one please let me know 2 things:

1) are the two airports together or are they separate airports

2) what hotel can we stay at that does not involve a Taxi or a long walk to stay & sleep for the 10 hour stop over?

3) Are there any suggestions for breakfast before we flight out nearby

We are traveling home on the 14th September 2014

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuala Lumpur Airport

Have a read on the faq on the right on airport hotels.

Without a taxi you have only two choice. Sama sama attached to KLIA or Tune attached to the KLIA2

Sama sama is 5star while Tune is budget.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
8,163 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuala Lumpur Airport

You don't say which airline you're flying with or what you mean by "domestic"). If it's MAS then you'll be flying into the "domestic" part of KLIA. If it's a budget airline such as Air ASIs it will be KLIA2. So it's just possible you'll be flying in and out of KLIA and can stay where you first wanted to.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,838 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuala Lumpur Airport

There is no such thing as a purely domestic or international airport in KL.

The airport has two terminals and both terminals have international and domestic flights. KLIA serves full service airlines and KLIA2 serves low cost carriers.

Without knowing which airlines you are using no one can really advise you.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,762 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuala Lumpur Airport

Hi

very much agree with the others . . .

Can some one please let me know 2 things?

1) are the two airports together or are they separate airports

A] it depends on who you are flying with. As it is more based on which airline rather than domestic or international. But if the Malaysian to Malaysian is within the same terminal at KUL Airport. Malaysian to Air Asia or vice versa are different terminals at the airport, KUL. There is another airport.

Depends on who you are flying with . . . . perhaps you can let us know?

2) what hotel can we stay at that does not involve a Taxi or a long walk to stay & sleep for the 10 hour stop over?

A] There is no airport hotel that does not involve a long walk or taxi ride . . . . again it depends on who you are flying in and out with. You will find that it is a decent walk to the budget hotel Tune is next to KLIA2 [Air Asia] or 5* Sama Sama next to KLIA2 [Malaysia etc]; whilst Concorde Inn KLIA is a bus ride away. Both

3) Are there any suggestions for breakfast before we flight out nearby

A] that is 3 things . . . but er, the hotel or, er the airport!

As questions similar to yours get asked just about daily we have set up some Top Questions FAQs in the right panel part of this screen. Everyone forgets or misses the Top or Frequently Asked Questions/FAQs [especially if using smart phone / tablets / tablet apps], which are packed with lots of really great information about lots of really useful information!! If you are accessing TA via the smart phone / tablet app’ you won’t see the very informative Green banner or the FAQs in the normal app view on your phone, so suggest that you view the app it as full site mode / desk top view; or just use a laptop or pc to enjoy the information that has been collected. The Top Questions / FAQs ---> are on the right of all forum pages, you may have to click on ‘show more’ to reveal the full list!

-----> ----> ---> --> ->

you will find the Top questions about KUALA LUMPUR and the FAQs which can give a lot of the detailed information you will need to answer your questions [and probably a bit more], in particular ---->

-- AIRPORT INFORMATION --

-> FAQ Airport Hotels tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298570-c130145/Kuala…

-> FAQ Airport KLIA2 to KLIA1 tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g298570-c182654/Kua…

-> FAQ Airport Long transits tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298570-c130480/Kuala…

-> FAQ Airport Subang / Sepang tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g298570-c146439/Kua… and tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298570-c138674/Kuala…

-> FAQ Airport Terminals tripadvisor.com/Travel-g298570-c138674/Kuala…

-> FAQ Time between flights tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g298570-c160477/Kua…

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuala Lumpur Airport

G'day,

well we have 4wongs,so to have one right, to suggest a hotel, it will help greatly,if you could advise which airline is your flight from Penang,and airline back to Brisbane(I suppose).

There is only one airport, but there are two terminals, viz. KLIA and KLIA2.

(though one could say KLIA2 an airport also,as it has its own ATC tower and dedicated runway;however it is not the case at the moment as IATA still only designate one code-KUL)

KLIA2 serves airlines such as Tiger Air, AirAsia, Malindo Air,and Cebu Pacific

Whereas KLIA serves Malaysia Airlines,and other legacy airlines.

These are hotels in KLIA- landside: Sama Sama ; airside: Sama Sama Express(at satellite building close to C gates).

And for KLIA2 - landside- Capsule by Container (Level 1 of gateway@KLIA2 , Tune Hotel@KLIA2- connected by covered walkway from gateway@KLIA2-10mins walk ; airside- Sama Sama Express (at also satellite building at mezzanine level before the lift/escalator and stairs down to pier P/Q )

gateway@KLIA2 is a shopping mall annexed to the main terminal building of KLIA2.

These are hotels that do not require taxi transfer.

Plenty of eateries for breakkie in both terminals.

There is even a 24 hours supermarket(Jaya Grocer) in gateway@KLIA2.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 03:24
Brisbane
Level Contributor
58 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuala Lumpur Airport

Thank you everyone for our quick replies.

I did check the FAQ but was a little confused with the KLIA1 & KLIA2 ? I was trying to find a map which would help show where everything is.

We are flying Malaysian airways all the way. But I am unaware which KLIA I will land at? I did think I would have been going straight through to International and as such booked the hotel with in the international airport but received an email stating we could not stay there.as we would not be checked in to international till the morning.

I did try to contact the Sama Sama Hotel & the Tune hotel regarding transfers & closeness to the airport but have not heard back yet.

Thank you

Wendy

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
8,163 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuala Lumpur Airport

You will be flying in and out of KLIA. You will not be going anywhere near KLIA2. I'm wondering if the confusion came because you did not use a 24 hour clock, so the hotel thinks you're arriving at 9.30 in the morning? Maybe try again using 21.30.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,762 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuala Lumpur Airport

I think the intial confusion arose because you didn't say which airline you are flying in and out with only where you were flying in from! So a lot of guesses had to be made.

LOL, so many people forget that those that work 24 hours have to work on 24hours, try saying 2130 insted of 9:30pm and 0900 instead of 9am

KUL has 2 terminals, KLIA1 to KLIA2 which are only a few hundred meters - 2-3mins in a train. KUL deals with international and domestic flights at both terminals dependant on the airline rather than where from or to.

Malaysian fly in and out of KLIA1 for both their domestic and international flights.

You won't collect your bags between flights, and you will be given boarding passes when you check in at Penang.

You are likely to go through customs and immigration when you check in at Penang, but if you don't you can do an informal immigration within the KLIA if you decide to stay within the airport.

You can stay in the Sama Sama Express within the terminal building as you won't have to clear immigration again.

OR you can choose to head out of the airport remembering you won't have to collect your bags, and spend the night at the Sama Sama, which is about 5mins walk following the clearly marked colvered walk way.

You will need to be back at the airport with boarding pass in hand around 7:30am / 0730 the next morning, as you wil need to allow enough time to clear immigration!

Info on KLIA1 --> http://www.klia.com.my/index.php?m=airport

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,762 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kuala Lumpur Airport

PS unless you just have to have brekki, I would not worry, as they will feed you within a short time of take off on the plane. So just a light snack would do first thing!

10. Re: Kuala Lumpur Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:17