We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regarding pickpocketing, theft and pet store location

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Regarding pickpocketing, theft and pet store location

Hello,

I will be going to Kuala Lumpur at around the 1st of September. Since i will be visiting Singapore before i will be carrying 1000 USD and 500 SGD. I won't be carrying any credit cards.

Is it very unsafe to carry cash in Kuala Lumpur? I did my research and it seems pretty safe in Singapore. Any safety tips i should take notes of for Kuala Lumpur? I read the threads and took suggestions but they did not cover the precautions i should take if i carry a lot of cash.

Lastly, where can i find a good pet store in Kuala Lumpur where i can buy bird accessories for my African Grey Parrot... things like a pumice perch, thermal perch, foraging toys, etc....

Thanks in advance :D

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,980 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regarding pickpocketing, theft and pet store location

Hi

Er, haven't we answered these quesitions already?

Is it very unsafe to carry cash in Kuala Lumpur?

A] no, unless you flash it.

I did my research and it seems pretty safe in Singapore. Any safety tips i should take notes of for Kuala Lumpur?

A] just be sensible.

I read the threads and took suggestions but they did not cover the precautions i should take if i carry a lot of cash.

A] carrying lots of cash is a fools game.

Lastly, where can i find a good pet store in Kuala Lumpur where i can buy bird accessories for my African Grey Parrot... things like a pumice perch, thermal perch, foraging toys, etc....

A] you just don't see many pet shops in Malaysia.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,445 posts
1,560 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regarding pickpocketing, theft and pet store location

<<Is it very unsafe to carry cash in Kuala Lumpur?>>

Use the hotel safe and only carry what cash is needed.

Tommo

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Regarding pickpocketing, theft and pet store location

Pet shops are mostly located in suburb residential areas.

There is a pet store by the name of Pets Wonderland which has a few retail outlets; two of which are located in shopping malls which I think is not difficult for you to get to. One at Mid Valley shopping mall and the other at Great Eastern Mall, Jalan Ampang. Do note that the outlet at Great Eastern Mall is smaller. Just do a search and you will be able to get the address/exact location of these two outlets.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
975 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Regarding pickpocketing, theft and pet store location

Pickpockets and snatch thefts are rampant in KL. The pickpockets work on the buses and trains, especially the free buses that go around KL as then they don't even need to buy tickets! Snatch thefts by motorbikes is very common. Make sure you don't use a bag slung over your shoulder. And take care of your bag when at restaurants and food courts. In Bukit Bintang you will see big yellow road signs saying beware of snatch thief with a picture as well!

There are quite a few pet shops in KL area. In Chinatown there are 2 or 3 just up the road from the Mandarin Hotel on Jln Sultan. In Brickfields there are 2 pet shops at the far end (if coming from KL). Then there is the one already mentioned in Mid Valley. There is also one in Bangsar.

However I think the Chinatown ones sell bird things.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Regarding pickpocketing, theft and pet store location

If you really must carry a large amount of money there are two things you can do to lessen your worry.

The first is to get someone to make you a pocket which is inside your trousers, and which you can't get at from the outside without undoing belts, buttons, zips etc. Then you can safely carry cash there. Money bags that attach to your belt and which you flip to the inside are not a good idea as pickpockets know all about them. If you want to have a go at an inside pocket have a look at this website with an idea of how to make one vagabondjourney.com/hidden-pockets-to-carry-…

The second is to carry a dummy wallet. Fill it with business cards, old bits of plastic which look like credit cards, and just a few notes in the local currency or enough to get you through the day. Maybe carry it in an outside trouser pocket over the place where you have your real money, and it will hide any internal bulge. Then if someone does stop you and insists you hand over your wallet you can safely do so knowing you haven't lost anything of any value.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,619 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Regarding pickpocketing, theft and pet store location

I have already answered your question on security with that much money on your other post. The dummy wallet is an excellent idea.

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Regarding pickpocketing, theft and pet store location

Thank you all... Will try to ensure the money belt as well as the dummy wallet :D

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Regarding pickpocketing, theft and pet store location

Hi,

though your research shows Singapore "seems pretty safe"...as traveling in any foreign country or even in our own, always be vigilant of your surroundings,and more so at money changer place,and never get distracted.

And if you plan to buy gold jewellery, ditch the shop carrier bag.that's only telling " I just bought something from this shop".I am possible target.

An unimpressive recycled tote bag is much better.

Even traveling on Singapore MRT,bus also be careful.

9. Re: Regarding pickpocketing, theft and pet store location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:15