We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making a card out of the cash

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Making a card out of the cash

Hello, I will be travelling to Singapore and Malaysia(3 days each). I will be carrying 1000 USD and 500 SGD in cash with me. Is there anything i can do to convert this cash into any type of card? The travel agency will pay for my flight and staying cost in the hotel from here so i will have 1000 USD and 500 SGD in my pocket for sightseeing, eating and travelling via taxi, bus,etc. ...

I do not have a credit card btw. Neither am i familiar with the concept of EZ card, Traveller's pass, etc. Could you please state if there is anything i can do to convert this cash into a card? and that card could be used in both the countries?

Thank you

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Making a card out of the cash

Hi,

though this is a TA Kl forum,

for the EZ link(Singapore) basically it is a smartcard with cash value loaded on it whereby you can use it on public transport(bus, MRT/LRT),taxi, river taxi and even in selected retail shops.

You buy it for SGD10(or SGD12) where SGD5 is cost of card,and the balance is the initial preloaded value.i.e. either SGD5 or SGD7,then you just reload the card.

Nonetheless, you could also look at the Tourist Pass which may suits your requirement ,return the card within 5 days from day of purchase and gives unlimited rides on trains and buses for SGD10/day. and the card is free unlike the EZLink which is the non refundable SGD5 for the card.

You stated Malaysia,or you are only doing KL?

In KL, there is also the smartcard for use on Rapid KL buses and also the LRT and monorail,known as MyRapid Card--also stored value card, which is priced at RM10 with initial preloaded value of RM5,and by presentation of this card, you get discounted entry fees to places like KL Tower, Zoo, PetroSains,Sun way Lagoon, and few selected food and retail shops.

No debit card?

Yep, do understand your central bank restricts international credit card transactions

Edited: 20 August 2014, 10:06
Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Making a card out of the cash

i will be visiting Kuala Lumpur only.... How much should be a reasonable amount to carry in there for a 3 days visit which will include transportation(bus+train), food, visiting attractions and shopping

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making a card out of the cash

Well it really depends on what type of food you will be eating and what you intend to buy, doesn't it?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,674 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making a card out of the cash

With that much money I would be hiding it well from prying eyes on my body with a travelers money belt. I would carry only $100 or $200 in my pocket in smaller notes which a money changer can help you with.

When you have spent that money and are too far from your hotel room to take more from your belt then use the privacy of a toilet cubical to do it.

Never expose your money belt in a public place.

Its sending out a signal to get mugged.

Travel safe in Asia.

Warm regards Dirty Pierre.

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Making a card out of the cash

Thank you everyone

6. Re: Making a card out of the cash

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:16