We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri La Question re Location

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Shangri La Question re Location

Hi

I'm hoping some of the DE's or KL regulars can give me a little bit of a better idea of the location of Shangri La. I've not been to KL before, so simply looking at a map isn't helping me.

We mainly want to shop and enjoy the food with a couple of attractions thrown in (maybe Petronas Towers, Merdeka Square, possibly Batu caves)plus Hard Rock Cafe (which I know is nearby) and Sky Bar. For shopping I'm thinking we will be focusing on Bukit Betang, Chinatown, Petaling Street Market, Indian night market (we have a Saturday night), but the plan is still loose.

We have booked Shangri La for the experience of staying in a 5 star hotel but I just want to check that the things we want to do are still easily accessible. I've been lurking here for a little while, and some comments I've read suggest that KL isn't always pedestrian friendly. When we travel we mostly use a mix of walking and public transport.

Should we reconsider our hotel choice, or will it be fine for what we want to do?

Thanks in advance

Ps We are a couple, early 30s, and have 3 nights at the end of october

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,605 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shangri La Question re Location

The hotel is fine. Its one of the top 5 star hotels in town. The hotel is just across the road to KL nightlife. You already figured out hard rock cafe, but you will find a whole street of bars and hangouts leading towards the twin towers. While Malaysia has lots to eat, the restaurants in your hotel are also excellent. The lemon garden has a wicked buffet, the chinese and japanese restaurants are excellent, and Lafite is the best french (and possibly best classical fine dining) restaurant in town.

If you plan to walk, do bear in mind that snatch theft (someone comes from behind on a bike and grabs your bag) is a problem in KL, so try not to carry sling bags if possible, and carry your shopping on the hand that is away from the road, and don't leave valuables like wallets, phones and cameras on table tops and chairs when dining at outside cafes and restaurants. These are the precautions I would recommend to ensure a safe and enjoyable holiday.

Edited: 01 September 2014, 12:52
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shangri La Question re Location

Great safety suggestions by the poster above "maic", one other suggestion would be to walk alongside the buildings, the inside part of the sidewalk rather than close to the roadway.

Edited: 01 September 2014, 14:49
Australia
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shangri La Question re Location

The location is still pretty good for shopping. There is a monorail station near your hotel that would take you to Bukit Bintang (2 stops away). You can also catch a cab to Chinatown and the Indian night market. They also can be reached by the transit system but a bit complicated to explain.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shangri La Question re Location

Thanks for the info.

I'll be back with more questions as I work on our itineraries :-)

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shangri La Question re Location

G'day,

you may also wish to have a look at this.

http://www.gokl.com.my/getting_around

Stop close to your hotel,and routes stop to places that you have in mind.

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
837 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shangri La Question re Location

thanks for the great advice, i am also staying at shangri la as well, this is also my first time to KL.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shangri La Question re Location

Hi again,

and besides the GO KL routes, the monorail station-BUkit Nanas is about 2-3mins walk away- exit from hotel lobby,down the driveway ramp, to your left-also takes you to Hard Rock Cafe.

Around this area- relatively pedestrian friendly,as there are raised pavement of good width from road.

The monorail station-Bukit Nanas is elevated and is also connected with an elevated covered walkway which leads one to the LRT station- Dang Wangi.

You can take the monorail to KL Sentral,and go thru NU shopping mall to reach KL Sentral terminal for the KTM Komuter for your rail transfer to Batu Caves Komuter station.

Seems you do not have KL Tower (and Luna Bar) in your list- behind said hotel.

Diagonally across from hotel,there is also Life Centre,where there is the 7-11 convenience store,and few noteworthy eateries e.g. Serai, Ah Yat seafood, La Boca, Dr coffee to list but a few.

Also just opposite of Life Centre, atop a hill is Tamarind Hill for lovely luxe Thai Burmese cuisine and cosy warm dining ambiance.

tamarindrestaurants.com/tamarind-hill.html

Malaysia
Level Contributor
806 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shangri La Question re Location

@isabella_boo,

The Shangri-La's location is fairly central, basically 8-12 mins walk to places like KLCC and Bukit Bintang.

Hard Rock Cafe is nearer. You'll need a taxi to get to Chinatown/Petaling Street and Little India.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shangri La Question re Location

We just stayed 10 nights at the Shangri La and it was very easy to get around using the free buses. The hotel has a free shuttle to Bukit Bintang.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shangri La Question re Location

Thankyou, that's all really helpful.

mKiaratravel, the GOKL bus is a good idea.

I'm discovering that there is much more I would like to do than will fit in our almost 3 day visit. Guess we'll just have to come again...