We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seri Angkasa Restaurant (again!)

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
101 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Seri Angkasa Restaurant (again!)

Hi all,

Can anyone who has been to this restaurant tell me how i can go about securing one of the best tables? Reports on here suggest it's real important to get a window table....

I see from their website that there is a reservation option, but since i want this night to be extra-special, i'd like to make sure I have a table by the window.

My guess at the moment is to ask the concierge at my hotel (crown plaza), but any thoughts/advice gratefully received!

Cheers

London
Level Contributor
101 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seri Angkasa Restaurant (again!)

i should probably add that i've mailed the restaurant directly (obvious choice!) but havent got a reply yet ;)

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seri Angkasa Restaurant (again!)

Depending on when you arrive in KL (i.e. far enough in advance) then just ask the concierge to book on your behalf. I know two of the concierge’s at the CP, and they always come up trumps for me, even on short notice. Or you could always email the CP and ask them to book it prior to your arrival, but I really don’t think this is necessary. I’ve never had a problem booking for the Seri Angkasa a day or two in advance.

I really don’t want to be a stick in the mud, but you mentioned that you wanted this dinner to be really special… so here goes.... (hope I am not out of line).

There are MUCH better restaurants in KL, more romantic, more exclusive, better atmosphere, better service, much better food and just as expensive…. the only real plus the Seri Angkasa has is it’s terrific views, and that’s why you pay the premium price.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seri Angkasa Restaurant (again!)

Flying to KL on Monday and would love some restaurant suggestions. KL is blessed with so many it is hard to know where to start and sometimes the better options are not always the most obvious.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seri Angkasa Restaurant (again!)

I agree, Seri Angkasa has 10 points for the view, but apart from that, really plain food, plain service...etc, and its been raining cats and dogs every evening so far, and december is the rainy season, so even if u try hard to ensure a window seat...well, the weather can still screw you up.

I would suggest do eat at the Seri Angkasa, but on another night, where even if weather, poor service, bad communication resulting you NOT getting a window seat will not mar your special occasion.

For the special occasion, what is your budget? Here are some I can recommend and you can look it up -

Tamarind Hill / Tamarind Springs - These are 2 resturants in the same chain and are not very far from one another. Serving Thai and Vietnamiese food. I have not been to Springs, but Tamarind Hill is located on a hill top built on a wooden house. IYou sit in an open door resturant amongst the rain forest and its really romantic. I don't quite particularly like Thai and Viet food, but I know others love it. Its also very affordable, likely to be cheaper than Angakasa.

Senses Resturant / KL Hilton - Its a small resturant serving a Fusion menu designed by the an award winning chef. Its considered one of the top resturants in KL. Its romantic and serves nice food. Expensive. RM 238 for 3 courses excluding wine.

Cilantro (@ Micasa), 3rd Floro Resturant (@ JW Marriott), also excellent choices, similar pricing to Senses. Fusion (Jap, Local and western influence), noted as one of the best in KL.

London
Level Contributor
101 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seri Angkasa Restaurant (again!)

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate the comments. You're making me think twice about the seri angkasa now.

I want this meal to be the most special, most romantic possible. Budget goes out of the window for this one! I'm planning on asking my girlfriend a very important question ;-)

We both love asian food so the hilltop sounds good, but please, any suggestion for the perfect restaurant for me?

Many thanks again

Toneer

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seri Angkasa Restaurant (again!)

Hi again,

Well since the special meal is popping THE q… then I would definitely not chose Seri Angkasa.

Like Maic says, by all means go to SA on another night, just not your “special” night – apart from the view, everything else is mediocre at best.

I also agree with all of maic’s suggested restaurants. The only one I would add would be Lafite at the Shangri-la Hotel.

In terms of romance and ambience, I would probably put Tamarind Hill/Springs top of the list. And it fits your bill for Asian cuisine.

In terms of really top nosh, a toss up between Lafite, Cilantro & Senses.

I can’t imagine anyone being disappointed with any of these choices. She’s simply bound to say yes immediately! :-)

Here’s the websites to a couple of the above restaurants, I am sure if you google you should be able to find the others.

http://www.tamarindrestaurants.com/

shangri-la.com/kualalumpur/…

This next one I am not too sure about… It is an adorable place (former residence of the British Ambassador to Malaysia, set in beautiful park and lake gardens, feels like you are a million miles from the city instead of on the edge of it, it’s steeped in history and full of antiques and bits and bobs, the only noise you hear is the birdsong, even Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip stayed here when they were in Malaysia)… but I am not 100% sure it would appeal to all young people – some may find it a bit too stuffy? although I don’t. But it IS definitely very special.

http://www.carcosa.com.my/

Have a great time choosing, imo you really can’t make a wrong choice, they are all excellent.

p.s., best of luck!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seri Angkasa Restaurant (again!)

If budget is out the window for you, here are some even more outragous suggestions -

Putrajaya lake cruise -

You can charter a boat (its a river cruise boat that can seat max about 12 comfortable diners), have them arrange for a small live band, and go for a dinner cruise at Putrajaya lake. The food is catered from the nearby Putrajaya Shangri-La Hotel and is not too bad.The cost will probably be in the range of RM7,000. My friend did it once to his gf who is now his wife.

Pangkor Laut dinner-

The island resort is so beautiful that Pavarroti cried when he first stepped foot there (at least that's what how they market the island), its really beautiful. However, its 4 hours away by road. That being said, they have a helipad and you can charter a helicopter to fly to there in the evenings before sunset, and maybe spend the night and fly out the next day. The cost will be one night accomodation and the heli transfer. Not sure how much so you need to check with the resort. RM is cheap compared to pounds so it may not feel so expensive to you as it is to us.

London
Level Contributor
101 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seri Angkasa Restaurant (again!)

Wow, these are all great suggestions, thanks to you both for the advice.

Ok, here's where im at.. I'm ruling out the lake cruise because we're both foodies so i want to try to get the best meal possible (thank goodness you advised me against seri angkasa now!). I'm also ruling out the helicopter charter, just because we only have 2 nights in KL and i want to stay in and around KL. I must admit though, it's very tempting - talk about making a good impression! :-)

so, i've got it down to three restaurants....

thirdfloor

tamarind hill

tamarind springs.

As far as i can see, it's really just a cse of deciding between an authentic asian style evening (tamarind) or more like the fine dining experience im used to here in london (thirdfloor).

Decisions, decisions! I think im tempted to go for tamarind...because i think it looks more romantic and is also seeing more of KL, rather than a 5* hotel which would feel like i could be anywhere in the world.

I just need to figure out which is the best of the two tamarind restaurants now.. :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seri Angkasa Restaurant (again!)

Good Choice on Tamarind.

Point of note, Tamarind resturants serve decent food with great ambience. Its not going to be "to die for" kind of food. That you need to get at Third Floor/Cilantro/Senses/Lafite

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seri Angkasa Restaurant (again!)

Must say that the view & sunset from the Seri was wonderful.Food was so-so.Our hotel concierge bagged a window table for us,and when we got there it had VIP reserve on the table - we did laugh. It is worth it for the views.

Not trying to sway you Toneer,the experts rec on the tamarind sounds very nice,just thought i would add this for anyone else's interest in going to the SA.

All the best for your special trip.