We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuala Lumpur 5 days

FInland
2 posts
Save Topic
Kuala Lumpur 5 days

I´ll be in KL 5 days in January. Is there something special you could do in KL, except to see the Petronas Towers, go shopping etc.

I mean something that you can´t read in every tourist guide.

Any good night clubs in Sultain Ismail Street? Any one been at Grand Continental Hotel?

Thanks,

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuala Lumpur 5 days

Hi

Greetings from Norway :-) I have spent about 4 weeks in KL this year...first on vacation and then on a business trip. I have made a trip report that I can share with you...send me a mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you. I'm not sure that I have done much that is not in the tourist guides...I have been to Batu caves, Central market, Petaling street, KL Tower, Putrajaya etc. But maybe you can get some useful information form the trip report :-)

Regards

Gard

sel.malaysia
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuala Lumpur 5 days

KL is the Capital city of Selangor State,suggest you extend to cover Selangor,transportation network is very affordable and convience.

1)Forest Research institute at Kepong :http://www.frim.gov.my and http://www.tourism.gov.my

2) Night visit to see the fireflies colonies at kuala Selangor.

3)Pulau Ketam , a fishing village on stilt 1 hour ferry ride off Port Klang(50Km from KL) >old name port Sweetenham( hourly ferry service (last service 1800hour),seafood restaurants , hotel n etc on the island)

4)palm oil research station,at Bangi(.porim.com.my)

5)Mardi,agriculture research station at Serdang

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,868 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuala Lumpur 5 days

There are things to try that may not be the usual stuff that tourists do. If you can elaborate, someone can help. Tell us about yourself, your interests, are you coming alone, how old are you, boy or girl...etc then we can help you narrow down.

Specifically, tell us if you like shopping, nature, beach, hills, forests, clubbing (yes u mentioned that), romantic, culture, architecture, history, scuba...etc

Penang
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuala Lumpur 5 days

Man, get to Kuala Selangor for fire-flies watching. ( It's not in KL though, 1 hours drive, if bus 2 hours) You won't regret it. It's probably one of the best in the world.

Ask hotel information for trips to Kuala Selangor, don't ever try to rent-a-car and drive there, you may get lost very easily, and the signboards there are quite confusing.

Some tips: Don't visit the place during full moon. (visits around 19 Jan will be quite nice) There are two fireflies village in Kuala Selangor, one is on motor-boat, another is on sampan. Pick the sampan one will be nicer, but longer.

FInland
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuala Lumpur 5 days

Thanks for the posts, so i am male, 30. And single ;). So i would also like to know where is the best nightlife action for a single western man.

sel.malaysia
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuala Lumpur 5 days

For night life activities:Bukit Bintang Street and surrounding streets

PJ
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuala Lumpur 5 days

Try going to Beach Club along Jalan P.Ramlee or Zouk/ Velvet along Jalan Ampang.

If you want a quite bar with great KL view, try Luna Bar @ Menara PanGlobal near KL Tower.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,868 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuala Lumpur 5 days

There are 3 areas for hanging out.

One is the Jalan P Ramlee Area (thats the road just across from the Shangri-La Hotel). Many many pubs and discos. Lots of ladies (and working ladies) on the prowl.

The other is Asian Heritage Row, about 1km away, just next to the Sheraton Imperial

The third is Bangsar Jalan Maroof / Jalan Telawi area. Lots of small resturants and pubs, very hip and nice hangout place.

Outside of these 3, there is, as someone mentioned Zouk disco that is along Jalan Ampang across the New World Hotel (short walk from KLCC / P Ramlee), and also Luna bar located in Menara Pan Global building rooftop which is behind the Shangri La.

If you walk along Jalan Bukit Bintang at night, there are also pimps advertising their services.

PJ
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kuala Lumpur 5 days

Oh Ya...On top of this, you can also check out Hartamas. You can find a lot of little pubs/bars/clubs and mamak.

If you enjoy eating, you should try some local delicacies. I think in KL you can get great variety of delicacies.

Perhaps, try visiting some of the popular parks in KL. Eg. Lake Garden and the Monument (Tugu Negara), Taman Bukit Nanas(where Amazing Race Asia was held).

10. Re: Kuala Lumpur 5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 04:18