We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers Cheques

Which Male hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers Cheques

We are travelling to Maldives on 18 December. We want to take travellers cheques and dollars.

Will we be able to cash the travellers cheques or should we take all dollars?

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers Cheques

no probs cashing your cheques,but you may want to take dollars as well for small things and tips etc.

cfc

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers Cheques

Hi Bonnie

But you will get a better rate using a credit card and no expense buying the cheques in the first place

Regards

Doug

Grimsby, England
Level Contributor
274 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers Cheques

We didn't want to use a credit card so we paid the bill at the end of the holiday with travellers cheques, asked at Reception at the end of each week the total so we could keep a check on how much we were spending, as we had a lot of spa treatments and did the padi diving course.

Take dollars for tips and any extras but not too much.

UK
Level Contributor
239 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers Cheques

Hi Bonnie

We ordered travellers cheques and dollars from Currency Express on line and the rate we got last week was $2 to the £1 - NO fee and if ordering over £300 worth the postage is free, also if you order before 11am you will have your money delivered to you the very next day! This was the first time we have used them and will be doing so from now on.

Gus & Fiona

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers Cheques

Doug ... def not a better rate on my credit card (Lloyds TSB) for sure, they even charge me for using it! There, I've named and shamed.

Best for credit card are Nationwide, they do not charge for the transactions abroad.

............ activegirl

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers Cheques

I think Nationwide might be introducing charging soon. Or so I heard along the grapevine, if they do I'll be a bit miffed as it's so good to use abroad!

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travellers Cheques

Hi Activgirl

Yes I'm a Nationwide user which I would recommend to everyone

Regards

Doug

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travellers Cheques

If taking cash, always carry it the Papillon method..........

9. Re: Travellers Cheques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 10:25