We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to take, clothes ect.

UK
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
What to take, clothes ect.

Hi,

Going to Biyadhoo next month for my first trip to the maldives. Just wondering what I actually need to pack, for a change I'm going to try and not pack the entire wardrobe as I'm sure it won't be needed. Going to take some sandles, bikini, sarong & a dress or 2, but just wondering if I'll need to take warmer clothes for night times & smart clothes for the resturant? Oh also taking snorkle and mask.

Any other tips also appreciated.

Thanks.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to take, clothes ect.

Hi Lou24

Travel light as you suggest. The Maldives are practically on the equator, so it is still very warm in the evening. There are mosquitoes/biting insects on the island so take insect repellant with a high DEET content. Antihistamine tablets are also a good idea. You will need high factor suntan cream - you can burn even if it is cloudy! If you are snorkelling then take an underwater camera - the reef and fish life are fantastic.

Have a great time.

Ilkley
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to take, clothes ect.

Forget the sandals. The paths are sand, alot of the bars have sand floors. The only thing I take is a pair of flip flops for when the sand is really hot mid afternoon. I came back in April and didn't even wear my flip flops this time. It is really warm on a night, in fact the temp only drops a few degrees at night.

Have a fantastic time.

softail

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to take, clothes ect.

Hi,

You don't need any warm clothes, the Maldives just doesn't do cool :-)

Women usually wear some sort of strappy dress in the evening and no shoes so a few dresses are fine to see you through your holiday.... Take some sort of wrap so that if you visit an inhabited island you can cover yourself a bit as they do like you to do that..... No towels are needed.... a t.shirt for covering up if you snorkel as you burn really quickly then....flip flops as the jetties can be very hot to walk on, a definite "ouch" moment....hat....books....lotions and potions as they can be expensive on the islands....once you have been and know the routine so to speak you discover it's the easiest place in the world to pack for :-)

ML1

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to take, clothes ect.

Its all very casual on biyadhoo, no one dresses up for the evening, a sarong for during the day as they don't like swim wear in the restaurants and easy summer clothes for the evenings, nothing gets dirty so can be worn several times, have a great time

regards susie

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to take, clothes ect.

I often joke that all you really need to take to the Maldives are the 4 “s’s” - Suntan lotion, snorkel, swimsuit & sarong –actually this isn’t too far from the truth & I always make sure that I have these in my hand luggage - just in case my luggage goes walkabout!

A nice swimsuit with a sarong wrapped around it can easily double as a dress for dinner if need be!

You definitely don’t need shoes – I do take flip-flops but seldom wear them –going barefoot the whole time is all part of the Maldives experience, & its horrible putting shoes back on to come home – I usually don’t do this till I get to the airport!

Worsley, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to take, clothes ect.

Pack your suitcase as you normally would for a summer holiday, then......

Take out all jumpers, cardies, jackets etc.

Take out all shoes, socks, stockings etc.

Take out anything long-sleeved

Take out anything formal (dresses, long trousers etc.

Take out half of the remaining items

Then.....

Put in more swimmers, bikinis etc.

Put in more sun lotions

Put in mask, snorkel, fins etc.

Put in camera, extra memory cards, film etc.

There, all done. Now you are ready for the Maldives.

7. Re: What to take, clothes ect.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 15:19