We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Close Resorts to Airport with Late Night Transfers?

Which Male hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Topic
Close Resorts to Airport with Late Night Transfers?

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question here. I arrive at 1am into Male in January. I have that night + 1 more night to decide on a resort, before needing to return to the airport and hop on a boat.

Any resort requiring a seaplane is out of the question, and I don't want to stay at a hotel in teh city of Male, as I will have a day to explroe tehre after my boat journey.

It seems many places only run shuttles during main hours. How hard will it be to get a boat transfer at 1-2am?

I've been looking at islands / resorts on maps and think maybe some of these may be a viable option for the 1.5 nights I have?

- Full Moon / Sheraton

- Club Faru

- Bandos

- Kurumba

- Angsana Ihuru

- Embudu Village

- Dhonveli

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Close Resorts to Airport with Late Night Transfers?

Hi

You won't get a transfer at that time, also it is in the high season and many places are fully booked by now for that period so the chances of getting a room for 1 night is almost nil.sorry!!

regards susie

Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
316 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Close Resorts to Airport with Late Night Transfers?

Susie is correct it will certainly be difficult, maybe impossible. However, when we stayed at Laguna a few years ago our return Dhoni transfer was at ~11pm, so the boats do run at night if you can find an island willing to make the effort for 2 nights stay. Kurumba may be your best bet as it has conference facilities and may be more accomodating to a short stay/business traveller than the other islands. Alternatively, the Hulhule hotel close to the airport could possibly put you up and you could make a day trip to a resort island on your free day.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Close Resorts to Airport with Late Night Transfers?

Hi Fun Monty

First of all you don't need a day to explore Male a few hours is more than sufficient. As stated the chances of getting on one of the resorts for such a short stay and that time of year is not good and this in turn is going to give entry visa problems as they want a hotel address.The boats can run quite happily in the dark but as has been said whether they would make the effort for such a short stay is problematic unless they had other guests arriving at a similar time they are not shuttles they run to collect and deliver guests and are owned and run by each resort. You could try the two Taj resorts Coral Reef or Exotica which sometimes do short stays and are often less full. Is it worth going for such a short time as the Maldives is just not that sort of turn up and hop about place

Regards

Doug

oslo
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Close Resorts to Airport with Late Night Transfers?

Hi FunMonty -

try this link to book Angsana.

It is still some dates available in January.

Angsana Ihuru is by far the best island of the ones you mention.

;-b

oslo
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Close Resorts to Airport with Late Night Transfers?

...and here's the link:

reservations.ihotelier.com/onescreen.cfm…

Toronto
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Close Resorts to Airport with Late Night Transfers?

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I realize the challenges with such a request, however a handful of places do have rooms available.

Since I'm spending a week in the Maldive exploring by boat, and I'll be coming from Sri Lanka beforehand, I do want to find a spot to clean up / relax for 1.5 days. Not really interested in the airport hotel, I think I'd rather do a cheaper hotel in Male the first night, if need be...then just 1 night at a nearby resort.

The more I think about it, it will be a waste of money to pay for a night at a resort where I won't arrive until early am anyways, so the Male 1 night / resort 1 night may be most realistic in this case.

oslo
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Close Resorts to Airport with Late Night Transfers?

You will pay a full night for about 6 hrs worth of sleep...

A boat will take you there first thing in the morning!

Be prepared to get out around 8 am.

;-b

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Close Resorts to Airport with Late Night Transfers?

Resort islands operating night transfers have transfer boats meeting flights that they have arrivals on.

The first night in a Malé Hotel sounds good and I would suggest that you book a nearby resort island with a local (Maldivian) Tour Operator as they can get odd nights here and there during high season.

Kurumba is the closest to the airport, but possibly the most expensive, Club Faru is also near but should be much cheaper.

Also try: Soneva Gili, Taj Exotica, Anantara, Thulagiri, Paradise,

Toronto
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Close Resorts to Airport with Late Night Transfers?

Thanks Fizz. I have a good offer from Taj Exotica, and am just waiting for responses from a few others before deciding in the next day or so. Despite the original consensus of places being full, only 1 place has advised me as such thus far.

My goal now is to hit Male for night 1, get up, have breakfast and head to another island in the AM. I fully expect to arrive well before 'check-in' time, so an island / resort big enough with some space to wander around for a few hours makes sense.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Close Resorts to Airport with Late Night Transfers?

Glad to hear hat someone has replied - there is usually a room available for the odd night here and there but resorts dont want to pre book a single night stay, prefering a longer occupancy and also taking into account their commitments to Tour Operators.

Although the mid day international check in/out is always quoted, resorts do their best to get you into your room ASAP after arrival on the island so that you can start to enjoy your holiday experience.

Enjoy!

Fz