We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How sad are we?!!!

wigan
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
How sad are we?!!!

Hi guys,

Well we're booked up again to go to the Maldives next year. (19/01/10).

We've been before to a different island but the credit crunch has hit us!! Anyway, we're off to Faru and we're sooo excited!

We've read many comments/reviews on here, and all we need to know is which side of the island doesn't face Male. Also, which side has the not so strong current.

Many thanks.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How sad are we?!!!

Satellite view of Faru - just zoom out to see Male & airport + reclaimed Hulemale (spelt wrong).

North is north when looking at the link.

http://www.malediven.net/maps/faru.htm

Regards

Emu

Belfast
Level Contributor
767 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How sad are we?!!!

Hi

South side actually faces Male/airport. You can lie on a sunlounger on parts of both east & west sides & look out to the wide blue yonder but you will see other islands on the west side. The best beach unfortunately is on the south. The current is very strong again on the south of the island & it is recommended that you don't go swimming too far out here. They sometimes hold windsurfing competitions off this part of island. You can snorkel everywhere else, however I would avoid the north/northwest of the island as this has a lot of seagrass & is quite shallow, there is not a lot to see here. There are some isolated bits of coral to the right of dive centre jetty & some other bits to left of main bar- the currents are not strong here at all. The best place is along the pipe on the east side & there are also quite a few pockets of coral to the left of this pipe, mostly with junior fish. The currents can be a little strong but as the water is not deep this side of island you can always stand up for a rest. There is plenty of sand to stand on.

THe snorkeling isn't great off the beach at all, which is why the resort runs a free snorkeling trip twice a day (weather permitting)- these can be really worth going on. You usually go to Full Moon, Kurumba & some coral gardens close to Full Moon.

Lesw

wigan
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How sad are we?!!!

Thanks ever so much for your replies,

I think we're going to try and get a room on the East side.

Any more advice, pics etc would be really appreciated so we can look forward to it even more!!

Thanks again

Martyn and Diane.

lancashire
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How sad are we?!!!

Hi M&D

Off topic ,,, from a fellow Wiganer ............ off to thulhagiri in 3 weeks ,,,

David

wigan
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How sad are we?!!!

Hi David,

And who was it that said us Wiganers live in mudhuts??!!!

Hope you have a great time there.

M&D

lancashire
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How sad are we?!!!

And who was it that said us Wiganers live in mudhuts??!

M&D

I live in a Wigan water villa !!!!!!!!!!!!

With pet Maldivian hamsters ........

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How sad are we?!!!

Wasso,

Is that a Canal Barge and a water hamster, lol

Rumps

wigan
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How sad are we?!!!

You lucky thing Wasso, a water villa overlooking the river Dougie!

Rumps,

There's one canal, but how the barges get past the Asda trolleys beats me! Lol

I've got the ferrets and whippets booked into suitable accomodation already!

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How sad are we?!!!

Ahhhh!

But who is eating all the pies????

rumps

lancashire
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How sad are we?!!!

LOL !!!

No i don't live on the canal , or a water villa i was messing , but i do eat pies , Maldivian hamster and potato pasties mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Get answers to your questions about Male