We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

titan triggers

Which Male hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sussex
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Topic
titan triggers

nearly everyone on this forum says the titan triggerfish is one of the most dangerous species you can come across in the maldives , much advice is given about keeping a safe distance and if you swim across a titans nest ,there territory is cone shaped and if one swims towards you at speed to get your fins between it and you .

having taken all this into account when i visited vilamendhoo last year everytime i saw a titan i almost sh$$$t myself .(i never got attacked thankfully)

so i was just wondering has anyone actually been bitten or attacked by a trigger?

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: titan triggers

Hi mate,

Hope i find you well?

The answer is yes, they are only a danger in the breeding season, I have had 2 encounters, the first being a charge that I did not see and got a smack from the blighter who butted onto me at speed and yes it did hurt, the second I did see comming and as recomended swam backwards and defended myself with my fins only to find back on the boat that it had taken a good 1 inch chunk out of my fin.

Safe diving and snorkeling and hey let's be carefull out there. Lol

Best wishes ,

Rumps

sussex
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: titan triggers

thanks rumps , yes i am very well and hopefully soon sitting down with the other half to sort another maldive hol !!!

btw it (wind up) still makes me laugh , tyke is off too meed in late march for 3 weeks

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: titan triggers

He's going to Meed Omg, never mind, but he does love his 3 weeks.

Not long to biya early May and have decided to go to Fiha in Sept, what you doing?

Rumps

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: titan triggers

Hi

They only turn nasty when they are breeding or protecting their nests. I have come across some large ones and thankfully never had a problem. I am told they if they attack the best approach is to stick your fins in their face so that if they bite they get rubber and not you!

OD

Dorset
Level Contributor
954 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: titan triggers

The answer is yes. My wife was bitten on the wrist by a Titan Trigger fish at Makunudu. It attacked out of nowhere and drew blood.

MC
Level Contributor
382 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: titan triggers

Yes, I also got bitten but by an Orange-lined Triggerfish. This is a much smaller trigger fish. It was pretty painful, I can't imagine the pain felt from one of those big dudes!!! It was entirely my fault. I swam right on top of his nest. I was taking pictures of this butterfly fish couple and I didn't see it coming.

I have been chased many many times by the Titan Triggerfish, luckily nothing ever happened. You do have to watch out they are very very persistent. When you think they have backed off, make sure to take another look behind you because he will most likely be back. I remember one chasing me for at least 10 min,....This female must of been a very good mother!!

I read once that the Picasso Triggerfish is also a nasty one, but I personally never had trouble with them.

Pitch

sussex
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: titan triggers

hi rumps ,

am looking at biyadoo probly feb or march next year , i want all inc , natural (no water villas or pools) and a great easy access reef all pretty much on a budget

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: titan triggers

Idy

Is this a coded message , lol--- ?????

Rumps

boston england
Level Contributor
258 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: titan triggers

hi , i was attacked by one when i went on a day trip to bandos islands, the people i was with didn't believe me until the afternoon when they went snorkerling and got attacked by it, it frightened the life out of us as it just kept coming for us until we got far enough away from the drop off point.

caz

Colchester
Level Contributor
507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: titan triggers

I have been chased by them but fortunately never biten. Although after my first encounter with one the guy in the room next door thought it was funny, until the afternoon he came out of the sea with one having drawn blood.