We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Male - 3 days, limited budget

Oxford
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Male - 3 days, limited budget

Hi all,

I'm working in Kerala, India for 6 weeks from mid-April and was thinking of taking the 1hr flight to Male and enjoying a few days in the Maldives.

From looking around it seems that there's limited stuff to do/see in Male but I'm not sure what my options are apart from spending a lazy few days chilling out.

Any thoughts? Looking at going there on the bank holiday / royal wedding weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,922 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Male - 3 days, limited budget

there is no point in spending 3 days in male .. you can see the city in a couple of hours . one of the closer resorts is pretty much your only option for anything involving swimming , sunbathing or drinking alcohol .

please put a monetary value (in US dollars per night) to the term "limited budget" and give us a date for your travel . sorry ... i am not familiar with UK holidays nor do i have the first clue when the royal wedding is.

at first thought , islands like bandos, makunudu, biyadoo. thulagiri, fihalhohi come to mind .

Oxford
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Male - 3 days, limited budget

Thanks.

Aiming to go out from Friday, 29th April to Monday, 2nd May.

Accomodation budget: 100USD per night (max)

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Male - 3 days, limited budget

Hi Godders

In a nutshell forget it

Regards

Doug

Oxford
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Male - 3 days, limited budget

Cost?

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Male - 3 days, limited budget

yes cost

The cheapest resorts to male are club faru( 10mins), biyadhoo( 35 mins) fihahohli (1hr) and summer island resort (1.5-2hrs) by speedboat.

Summer island will cost $180 AI plus $120 transfer fee - biyadhoo (fb) may be cheaper but you would have to enquire

Filahohli(fb) and club faru (AI) are approx $200

You may find a local guest house on male but you will lose the resort facilities as spammie states.Also Easter weeks are high season and so you will be limited to what is actually available and then add transfer costs.

Sg

Oxford
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Male - 3 days, limited budget

Ah ok. May look at increasing budget as it'd be a shame to waste an opportunity to visit the Maldives when I'm only an hour away.

Mentioned in this post
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Male - 3 days, limited budget

THere are now some B&Bs on one of the local islands. These are cheap but basic but you wouldn't have the trappings of a resort - notably access to alcohol.

Biyadhoo is probably your cheapest bet for an AI resort island.

Somewhere on the forum is a fairly recent thread that mentions these B&Bs. If I can find it I'll post a link.

OD

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Male - 3 days, limited budget

OD

Sunlover57 has a link to the B & B's on a forum post dated 26 Feb.

Not sure how to post the link?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Male - 3 days, limited budget

Hi

This is the link, although I think that there are more that have opened up. There is one on the prison island that someone was talking about last week, which I don't think is listed on this link:

http://therealmaldives.com/Guesthouses.html

SL

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Male - 3 days, limited budget

T23 and SL

Many thanks for the information and the link. Much appreciated.

OD