We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to kill at Male airport

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
723 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Time to kill at Male airport

I've read all the threads but I'm still not sure what the best option is.

We arrive MLE at 11:00AM and our Liveaboard transfer doesn't pick us up until 4PM at the coffee shop. We're sitting in front so will be amongst the first off the plane and thru customs/ immigration in a jiffy, (no other flights arv at that time).

Our previous night is in Singapore so we don't need a dayroom.

I have a few days in Thailand but my husband is flying straight thru from the US so he'll be fairly jetlagged.

I'm trying to figure out if we should bother storing our 4 bags ($20usd) and go into town, (maybe the Sea House Restaurant?), or just slum it at one of the "restaurants" at the airport, (which sound more like snack bars), or at The Hulehule Hotel: I hear they charge $40pp and that includes use of pool? -- does it also include luggage storage?

Not trying to be cheap -- but hate to waste $$.

Any advice?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to kill at Male airport

You could take the ferry across to Male and have lunch at the roof top restaurant in Traders Hotel.

OD

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to kill at Male airport

You have probably less time than you think. I would say you may be off the plane and luggage collected and out by noon, you probably want to be back by 3.30 latest and drinking coffee at the coffee shop.

So three and a half hours, store the luggage go for lunch as OD says.

Or store the luggage and go for a wander and explore, stopping for ice cream along the way, if hubby is tired he won't want to do much either way.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
723 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to kill at Male airport

Yes, I think you guys are right. Hulhule sounds like a bit of a rip-off judging by other posts. No point in paying $$$ fo a pool when I'll have a beautiful ocean for the nexxt 2 weeks.

Is Traders walking distance to the Ferry? Does it get a big lunch crowd at peak time on Sundays?

I'll make sure hubby sleeps on the plane so he's not too cranky ; )

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to kill at Male airport

Hi

The hotel is close to where the ferries come in. Can't remember exactly which one they use but the walk isn't far at all. See the map on this link:

shangri-la.com/male/…

OD

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
723 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time to kill at Male airport

Thanks for the info. Can you guys recommend a great local restaurant? I've heard the food on our boat is very cookie-cutter American style, and after that we're "stuck" (lol) at The Park Hyatt for a week. Would love to get some really spicy fish curry for lunch.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
30,328 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time to kill at Male airport

OD's sounds a nice idea but what about the cafe just outside the airport, is it still open? Not the beesknees but lovely spot if you're really tired.

I killed 90mins there once but last time, December, it was all scaffold and building work.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
723 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time to kill at Male airport

airport cafe sounds OK but not for 4 hours!

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time to kill at Male airport

I would go with your original idea and go to the Seahouse. They have a lovely outdoor terrace overlooking the sea. Traders is easy to get to but very overpriced for Male.

9. Re: Time to kill at Male airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Male