We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer time at Male Airport

London
11 posts
Save Topic
Transfer time at Male Airport

Hello,

We are due to honeymoon in Sri Lanka and the Maldives this August...we're about to book in the next couple of days so would appreciate any final tips!

Our flight from the UK arrives in Male (via a connecting flight in Abu Dhabi) at 14:55.

We then plan to take a Mihin Lanka or Sri Lanka Airlines flight from Male to Colombo departing at 20:25. Is that enough/too much time at Male Airport to be able to collect bags, go through customs, etc and also check in for our flight to Colombo?

[We are then going on a tour of Sri Lanka for a week or 10 days before returning to the Maldives to go to one of the resort islands for 4 nights].

Thanks in advance :)

Mentioned in this post
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer time at Male Airport

It should be plenty if your flight is on time, of course no one can guarantee it will be, flights do get delayed. However if everything goes smoothly then it's fine.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,883 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer time at Male Airport

Hi

Why on earth are you taking that route via Etihad to go to Sri Lanka surely better to go Air Lanka direct to Colombo. There's not much transitting done in Male (for obvious reasons) so I'm not sure what sort of procedures they have but you should not need to go through immigration or customs just security as you are not entering the country

Regards

Doug

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer time at Male Airport

If two seperate tickets they are entering the country, they will need to collect bags etc and then recheck in, unless they can convince etihad to check their bags through on the Sri Lankan which I doubt.

Why they are doing that route though is a good question.

London
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer time at Male Airport

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I'm looking to do that as it seems to shave a fair bit of the total airfare.

I can get a return flight from the UK to Male for about £650 with Etihad and then a return flight from Male to Colombo for about £150, giving a total of £800 whereas a flight from the UK to Colombo alone with a similar flying time (around 13-15 hours each way including the stop) is about £950 with a further £150 or so to add on for a flight from Colombo to Male return.

Does that make sense? Tell me if I'm going crazy as I'd like to book in the next day or so!!!

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Colombo
Colombo
Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer time at Male Airport

As far as I know there are direct flights UK-colombo, so for sure the time flight UK-abu dhabi-Male-colombo (including both stops) will be much more than UK-colombo...

London
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer time at Male Airport

Thank you all for your help and messages.

Yes it would be quicker to fly direct but we would like to leave from Manchester and the direct flights seem only to be from Heathrow and the times don't work out for us to fly from there or else we'd have to delay leaving by a day which we don't want to do.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer time at Male Airport

Only you can say if the saving is worth the additonal time travelling, and you have to bare in mind if a flight is substantially delayed, and you don't make one of the legs, you will need to buy a new ticket, walk up fare, which is eye watering,y expensive normally, you also don't know when the next flight with available seats will be, they could all be full for a couple of days.

Personally I would not do it, the commute will be very tiring, and the risk of something going wrong, would make the reward not high enough, but it's personal.

However if no issues with the inbound flight, you should be fine. That's pretty much what you are gambling on,

8. Re: Transfer time at Male Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 07:19