We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Villa for 5 nights with Snorkeling (reef)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Water Villa for 5 nights with Snorkeling (reef)

Hello,

I am looking for water villa resort for 5 nights for 2 people where i can enjoy relaxing time and have good area for snorkeling. I am looking between Feb 26 and March 10 of 2014.

Budget is around $8k for 2 people (800 per person is a lot) as i know for speedboat transfer (~$450 per person), flights, taxes and food would cost a lot too.

I had done extensive search and found out below

Angsana Ihuru Resort

Biyadhoo

Fihalhohi Island Resort

Vilamendhoo

Viceroy Maldives

Paradise Island Resort & Spa

Would someone can help me recommend specific water villa resorts where i can snorkel (priority) and other water activities?

Please resort names can help me a lot. It has been overwhelming already.

I am least worry about food as we can go and choose our own but don't mind ig get in package.

Mentioned in this post
Angsana Ihuru
Angsana Ihuru
1,493 Reviews
Ihuru Island
Fihalhohi Island Resort
Fihalhohi Island Resort
1,314 Reviews
Fihalhohi Island
Paradise Island Resort & Spa
Paradise Island Resort...
3,073 Reviews
Lankanfinolhu Island
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Villa for 5 nights with Snorkeling (reef)

I’ve been to Ihuru and Viceroy on your list, Angsana Ihuru has very good reef, but there is no water villa, only beach villa. If water villa is not a must, it is a good choice, for your buget, you might also take a look of its sister resort, Banyan tree Vabbinfaru (no water too) , its has a very good reef too and the villa is better than Ihuru.

Viceroy is a good resort with great water villa, the reef is also not bad, some bleached though, but due to the location of its island, its usually very choppy and current is strong, its very difficult to access the reef, i took a video of my stay:

tripadvisor.com/…55027714

I would also recommend the below resorts:

Park Hyatt

Six senses laamu

Baros

Hufavan Fushi

Dusit Thani

Mentioned in this post
Angsana Ihuru
Angsana Ihuru
1,493 Reviews
Ihuru Island
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,913 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Villa for 5 nights with Snorkeling (reef)

paradise island is the bottom end of the budget islands and there is zero reef .

ihuru is a great little island but has no watervillas

biyadhoo is a basic .. BASIC island with good reef . no watervillas

you are booking last minute in the middle of the current high season have instead of looking up random island names , you have to take what is left over this late in the game . I suggest that you get in touch with a specialized travel agent (purely Maldives in England can help you) and find out what is actually bookable in your budget and with our criteria and go from there

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Villa for 5 nights with Snorkeling (reef)

Frequent T,

Thank You for video and information .

Does Viceroy would be okay for first timer to snorkel in Feb/March time?

Thanks for list as well. I heard that water villa has very good experience than any other beach side and expensive one. Not sure if you agree ?

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Villa for 5 nights with Snorkeling (reef)

Your list of islands seems odd if you have done "extensive research" for islands with WVs and a good house reef for snorkelling. It seems like you are including islands which have a seaplane transfer so I'm wondering what happened to Mirihi, Athuruga etc? But anyway, as Spammie says, you need to find out quickly which suitable WVs are actually still available in your budget if you want to go next month.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 06:10
Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Villa for 5 nights with Snorkeling (reef)

As FrequentT says, the sea by the reef at Viveroy is very chopos, so no very good for snorkelling beginners, and if i remember well! no direct access from the water Villa to the reef.

I agree with Lyn that your list is very odd: islands which don't fit your requeriments and mix of luxurious and budget end resorts.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Villa for 5 nights with Snorkeling (reef)

I heard from the Viceroy dive center that the best weather of Viceroy would be April, i went in end Dec, which supposed not to be the worst season, we are experienced snorkelers, but we were not able to snorkel much at house reef for our nine nights stay due to its choppy sea. So, i personally feel it will be a bet for your luck if you select Viceroy.......

I enjoyed both water villas and beach villas at Maldives, but for first timer, usually people would much prefer water villas as it is not common to be found out of Maldives.

The lists i recommend you are all reachable by either speedboat or domestic flights, due to your 5 nights stay which is relatively short, i am not sure your arrvial internatinal flight would be a night flight or not, hence i recommend something reachable on the same night, if you arrive at day time, as per Lynphd mentioned, Mirihi and Athuruga (by sea plane) would definitely great resorts with very good reef.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Villa for 5 nights with Snorkeling (reef)

Maria, Viceroy’s reef could also be accessed by some of the water villas, those facing outside of the lagoon, but when it is choppy, it also depends how good you could swim. For water villa facing inside the lagoon like where i stayed, we either need to swim pass through the underneath of water villa jetty (which is narrow and dangerous when it is choppy) or we could access the reef from stair case around water villa 35 or the beach around tree house.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water Villa for 5 nights with Snorkeling (reef)

Visited paradise island on a day trip. Don't recal seeing any fish at all. A few sharks by the jetty.

The island seems man made, like everything is fake and you're on a movie set it's strange.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,913 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water Villa for 5 nights with Snorkeling (reef)

we can recommend until we all turn blue and send him on more wild goose chases .. does him absolutely no good until he finds out which islands that fall under his criteria have openings ..... just sayin'

10. Re: Water Villa for 5 nights with Snorkeling (reef)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:18