We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm in a wheelchair and am hoping to go the Maldives soon.

Which Male hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fareham, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
I'm in a wheelchair and am hoping to go the Maldives soon.

Can anyone (preferably with experience) give me some advice as to where is best to go. I especially need a proper disabled bathroom; wheel-in-shower, handles etc. also restaurants and places which my wheelchair can manoeuvre on without problems.

Thank you for any feed back,

Suzy.

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm in a wheelchair and am hoping to go the Maldives soon.

Hi there,

I'm afraid this isn't much help but if you put "disabled and looking to go to the Maldives' in the search box on this forum it comes up with a thread from 2011 which has some info for you. Hopefully somebody with some knowledge might come on for you soon. My father has just become an amputee and I realise now how important research is when going anywhere so I really hope this can happen for you, such a beautiful place.

Fiji
Level Contributor
488 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm in a wheelchair and am hoping to go the Maldives soon.

Good morning WheatSheaf,

There are more and more wheelchair guest coming to the islands and some are set up better than others. In saying this, I do not believe any of the resorts have done this perfectly yet. If you search for Maldives Disabled Guest fact sheets, you may find some interesting information. Here is a few things that I can share and hope that it is helpful.

AIRPORT

The Airport does have facilities such as wheelchair lift, lifts within the terminal and disabled toilets. There are no air bridges in the Airport and embarking or disembarking will be via the open tarmac. The airport team is able to assist and your airline will arrange this with the Airport special needs staff. Once you are through immigration and customs, the resort staff will meet you and the Airport special needs team member will assist in taking you directly to the vessel.

VESSEL TRANSFERS

Getting on and off the boats, to the Jetty, at both the airport and the Resort is done by resort staff completing manual lifting. Once on board the vessels, there is generally ample space in the speedboats to assist.

I would probably suggest finding a resort with pathways and close to the airport. Some resorts will have wheelchairs on site and evening swimming wheelchairs if you look around.

Hope that you have a wonderful holiday.

Jason

General Manager

Kurumba Maldives

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm in a wheelchair and am hoping to go the Maldives soon.

Here is a helpful thread.......

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298338-i9424-k4…

And of course, what Jason from Kurumba can't tell you is that Kurumba itself features amongst the list of wheelchair friendly resorts.

John

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm in a wheelchair and am hoping to go the Maldives soon.

Hi

When I was on Kurumba in May I saw a guest in a wheelchair moving around on the brick/hard sand walkways easily. The restaurants had also provided ramp access - so I think this island would be a good one to consider.

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Edited: 02 July 2014, 13:24
Fiji
Level Contributor
488 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm in a wheelchair and am hoping to go the Maldives soon.

Hi Richard,

I think there is also a swimming wheelchair :-)

Jason

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm in a wheelchair and am hoping to go the Maldives soon.

Hi Jason

Evening swimming wheelchairs no less. :-)

Rich

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm in a wheelchair and am hoping to go the Maldives soon.

Wheelchairs that swim?????

John

Male
Level Contributor
303 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm in a wheelchair and am hoping to go the Maldives soon.

http://www.susanaustin.co.uk/

https://www.ted.com/talks/sue_austin_deep_se…

Its a great idea

Edited: 02 July 2014, 16:26
Fiji
Level Contributor
488 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm in a wheelchair and am hoping to go the Maldives soon.

Yes... wheelchairs that you can take in the water. They have floats and designed for disabled guests who want to swim in the ocean..

Edited: 02 July 2014, 16:45
Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm in a wheelchair and am hoping to go the Maldives soon.

Wow CKB

Thankyou - absolutely incredible and inspiring.

Thanks

Richard