We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea plane transfer or speed boat

Southport, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sea plane transfer or speed boat

Hi I wonder if anyone can advise me on whether its worth paying the extra for the sea plane transfer? I've not added it on yet as I thought flying from the UK we'ed be fed up with being in the air?? Any advise.

Thanks Jackie

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea plane transfer or speed boat

seaplane every time mate.You dont want to start a holiday with a rough ride on the sea if its choppy !

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,820 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea plane transfer or speed boat

sea plane . don't even think twice .

Lincoln, England
Level Contributor
293 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea plane transfer or speed boat

Yup, seaplane gets my vote too - if you have the option.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea plane transfer or speed boat

Me too! The scenery from a seaplane is nothing like a passenger jet! Where are you wanting to get to? some boat trips takes literally hours and a seasick ride! ........... activegirl

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea plane transfer or speed boat

I would always PREFER a seaplane for the views but it's not an option on short trips as there are only so many and they're busy with the islands further away from Hulhule. You don't say where you are going but if it's being offered as an extra I guess you must be going far enough. In that case go for it.

Co. Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea plane transfer or speed boat

Hi Jackie,

As the others have said, Seaplane for sure. We've only been to maldives once before, (Kuramathi) and split it seaplane to the resort [20 mins.] & speed boat from the resort [2 & 1/2 hrs.].

Dont forget that including getting from your house to the airport you will have been traveling (at a guess) for at least 15 hrs. & even if you are "fed up with being in the air" , it will (probably) gety ou to your chosen resort 1 & 1/2 to 4 hrs. earlier than going by boat. This is time that you can then spend in the sea, (or bar) instead of on it in a boat.

Plus nothing can prepare you for the views from the seaplane, they really do have to be seen to be believed.

Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea plane transfer or speed boat

Hiya - would definately recommend the seaplane transfer - its like nothing you have ever experienced! Tiny planes, fantastic views over the atolls - you gotta go there!! Only thing is, they do go high and not too pleasant when in a monsoon! Recommend using the ear plugs from the plane as well! Enjoy the experience and have your camera in your hand. The safety instructions come in handy to cool you down too!

Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea plane transfer or speed boat

Sea plane every time. When we went to White Sands Resort ,we took the sea plane option going out (30 minutes - no hassle) and the speedboat coming back to Male (3 hours).

The speed boat journey was horrendous. A child managed to projectile vomit everywhere within 10 minutes of setting off and getting off was impossible within about 150 Italians stampeding on to the boat before we could get off. It was up there with the worst journeys ever.

However much you have to pay for the seaplane but as I understand it some tour operators now include this transfer as part of the holiday deal, believe me it will be worth it both ways.

Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
213 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea plane transfer or speed boat

It depends on what you want to spend your money on. If money is no problem then go for the sea plane. However, I preferred to spend my spare cash on getting as many dives in as poss so lived with the long boat trip to Kuredu.

boat trip on the way there is worse, because on the way back most people who got the boat there can't face it on the way back, so you get loads of room to spead out and sleep.

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea plane transfer or speed boat

Seaplane, seaplane seaplane..........................