We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So many shopping malls-so little time!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Topic
So many shopping malls-so little time!

Hi

I will only be in Manila for 2 days on my visit this time and wish to do some shopping.

I will be looking at buying some clothes for myself and my husband and I am also interested in handicrafts and shoes.

With so many shopping malls to choose from can someone recommend one with good selection and good prices overall.

I will be staying in the Malate area so Robinsons, Harrison Plaza and the MAll of asia are all close by.Am I best to stick to these malls of should I go to the others in Makati and Ortigas?

Which outdoor street markets are recommended?

Thanks

Nancy

Divisoria Market
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Manila
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: So many shopping malls-so little time!

hi there Nancy,

Since your main purpose in your trip is shopping. I would suggest that you better stay in Makati cause you there's lots of malls around the area. There's Glorietta 1 up to 4, Ayala center and SM Ayala and it's just an hour drive to Greenhills Shopping Center. There, you'll buy great bargains but be prepare for the big crowd since many people go there with the same purpose as yours.

hope you had great time in the country and enjoy the shopping!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: So many shopping malls-so little time!

thanks ashira

I have already booked my hotel in Malate & thats where I'll be staying this time.

I am looking foward to staying in this area and being able to visit the Baywalk in the evenings and all the cafes and restuarants etc in the area.

Greenhills sounds good, what is the best way to get there from Malate?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
643 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So many shopping malls-so little time!

Greenhills is quite a long trip from Malate area (about 1 and a half hours on normal traffic). But if you love shopping, it is best to visit the Mall of Asia. Be warned though! This is a huge mall (the biggest in the Philippines and one of the biggest in the world) It would be impossible to go around the mall in a single day and you may end up very tired. Robinson's Place is a smaller mall and may not overwhelm so much but this is also big enough for a day's visit. You can do without Harrison Plaza as it is quite old and there are a lot nicer place to visit than this.

There are no outdoor street markets available at this time since it's the rainy season. The next best thing is Greenhills for great bargains.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So many shopping malls-so little time!

I'd definitely agree with geminitraveller. If you have to pick just one mall, go for SM Mall of Asia. A lot of people are intimidated by its size, but its really quite manageable and a lot easier to go through than the maze of Robinson's Place and even the 1 to 4 sections of Glorietta.

I am not a fan of SM department store but after realizing they do cost much less than what my friends buy in those markets and bazaars in Divisoria and Greenhills, well I'd go to SM anytime. The one in Mall of Asia is also well laid out in two floors. So go for clothes (both branded and not, and some unusual overruns too!), shoes, accessories, etc. There is a Filipiniana section on the first floor, but I'd suggest you go to their KULTURA Flagship store at the second floor of the main mall where you'll get to see more and appreciate those Filipino stuff better. There are also Filipino delicacies and other souvenirs there, aside from clothing and home decors and other items.

A lot of tourists also enjoy the many Filipino restaurants there, mostly along the restaurant row facing the bay. And often times I see smiling faces enjoying "halo-halo" (that famous Filipino dessert) at Razon's on the second floor near the SM department store wing. Razon's is a simpler halo halo, made with sweetened banana, young coconut, and "leche flan" or caramel custard with crushed ice and milk - yet tastes a lot better than most colorful "halo-halos" in the metro. Something to try out!

I wouldn't stress myself in checking out the other malls, specially if you'll only be staying in Manila for two days. You'll definitely have your hands full at the Mall of Asia.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: So many shopping malls-so little time!

Thanks Impluse and Gemini Travellers you've got me very excited about the Mall of Asia.

Maybe I should take a tent with me so that I don't waste any shopping time! Do one floor on the first day.Camp out by the bay and the the second floor on my last day!!

Only joking ! but it dose sound very large

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
643 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So many shopping malls-so little time!

Sounds like you're a true blue mallrat, nancyQ! Well, good luck on your shopping adventure and I hopeyou enjoy your stay in Manila.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So many shopping malls-so little time!

Haha! For sure you'll do more than what you can in a full day. Start early! Some restaurants are open for breakfast so you can be there before 9. The shops open at 10am. If you get tired of walking, you could rest for an hour by getting a foot massage at MINT on the second floor. That's where I always take my mom when she gets tired. I treat her to an hour of foot massage and half an hour back massage while I go around the mall then I pick her up right after.

Just study the floor plan, get familiar with the shop's names, then leisurely walk around. There are numerous banks in the mall too if you need to change currency. Several ATMs too that accepts international cash cards.

Have fun!

California
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So many shopping malls-so little time!

I haven't seen anyone mention the mall Market Market . I went there briefly and was really impressed with the size of it and all the great stores packed into one mall.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So many shopping malls-so little time!

Hi bankalolos! Market Market is a personal fave, but the poster will be staying in the Malate Manila area so I wouldn't want her to go through the Makati traffic thus mentioned the best choice in that part of the Metro. I usually go to Market Market for fruits and the great foodstuff there (and nearby Serendra), but for variety, layout, and crowd, IMHO, Mall of Asia definitely wins over Market Market.

California
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So many shopping malls-so little time!

Sorry, I'm not familiar with where everything is located, I was taken to these malls and did enjoy Mall of Asia very much. I also liked Market Market and since I stayed at the Renassaince in Makati,The Greenbelt was convenientky located and is also a great place to shop.