We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone options

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone options

I will be arriving in Manila in less than two weeks and would like to have a mobile to use during my stay. My carrier in the U.S. is not GSM, so I need a phone and SIM card. How easy is it to get a cheap phone for my stay (about 2 weeks)? What are my options. I will be making local and international calls. Thanks in advance for your help.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone options

Go to www.hub-eshop/client/galleryprepaidkit.asp. This is the eshop of Globe Telecom. The lowest prepaid kit on this site is about 100 dollars. You can also check smart.com.ph but I just can't seem to find their prepaid kits online.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone options

The cheapest Nokia prepaid phone kits are P1,990 - P2,300 (around US$40-45) being offered through Globe Telecom and Smart Wireless centers. There are cheaper options below P2,000, like Motorola handsets from P1,600+ through Smart also, under the Talk 'N Text brand.

For Smart Buddy (Smart's prepaid line), check out

http://www.smart.com.ph/Buddy . I believe they have promos for international calls and sms. If you'll be travelling a lot around the country, its known to have a good nationwide coverage.

Globe also has a lot of promos for international calls and sms. Check out http://www.globehandyphone.com.ph/ or for Globe prepaid check out

www1.globe.com.ph/products.aspx?secid=169

There are two ways looking at it: you're lucky that the Filipinos just love celphones and there are a lot of choices in terms of phones and network providers, or you'll definitely be confused with the choices and options available - most of which look the same.

note: I don't want to start a Smart vs. Globe debate here guys. FYI, I'm a Globe subscriber for 8 years already. :)

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone options

Also, there are Globe and Smart centers in most malls in the Metro, and for sure near your hotel, wherever you are staying as there are malls everywhere. You can also easily get phone and sim cards at smaller shops and kiosks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone options

Thanks for the info. I was able to get a GSM phone here at a reasonable price, so I will be looking to buy a SIM card when I get to Manila. I will be staying in Makati and will be visiting relatives in Quezon City. I am assuming that it will be relatively easy to buy a SIM card in Makati, no? Anything that I should be aware of or any tips? (Mobile phone places in NYC are not always that reputable....)

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phone options

Your relatives will be able to help you with that. SIM cards are very cheap here. I think you can buy it for as low as 50 Pesos. There are Globe and Smart Centers in any mall.

6. Re: Mobile phone options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 14:27