We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phillipines -- best tourist things to see and do

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tempe
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
phillipines -- best tourist things to see and do

I plan to be in the Philippines in mid-November near Manila for about 10 days to visit relatives. I would like to know what outstanding things there is to see and do in the Philippines while I'm there during these 10 days. I expect high will i ere sometime between November the 15 through December 15 2007 and want see and due different, interesting while there. I'm not interested in hotels, I will be staying in hostels. If I want a nice hotel I will go down the street here in Scottsdale, Arizona and stay in one, not 10,000 miles away. Anyway, I like to experience different things, unusual things, festivals, things that the natives would be doing that i would not experience here in the USA

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,563 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: phillipines -- best tourist things to see and do

Hostels with cold water and shared toilets can get a little old after a while!

Friendly and Stone House B&B are two places that come to mind that offer cheap rooms and for a little more money slightly better rooms! I used the Stone House on Mabini 2 months ago and paid 1000 pisos for an air conditioned room with cable, private toilet/shower and hot water! Cheaper FAN rooms with cold water and shared toilet were 500 piso and fan room with private toilet and cold water 600P.

While you are in Manila take a boat over to Corregidor for the Light and Sound show! Walk down "Walking Street" in Carreido. Check out the new Mall of Asia off Roxas, even Roxas looks pretty good at night now on the U.S. Embassy end!

Good luck.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phillipines -- best tourist things to see and do

Hello Worldhobo

I agree with Infidelal about Roxas Boulevarde at night. There is a mass of humanity spread along the bay side of Roxas Boulevarde on the bay walk with many different dining choices and live bands.

I would also suggest you visit Intramuros, which is the oldest part of Spanish Manila and contains historical sites such as:

- Palace of the Governor

- Manila Cathedral

- Fort Santiago with various displays including a lot of information about Filipino hero, Jose Rizal.

- Casa Manila, a villa set up as it would have been during the eighteenth century and includes fans brought from India during the British occupation of Manila.

- San Augustin Church. The oldest in the Philippines, dating back to about 1595.

Outside of Manila, you could also consider travelling to:

- Tagatay for 100 islands and Taal Volcano

- Sagada for Hanging Coffins

- Banaue for rice terraces

A short plane ride away is Tagbilaran for Chocolate hills and other delights of Bohol.

If you are in the Philippines on the third Sunday of January, take a trip to Cebu City for the Sinulog parade. A huge parade attended by hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people, including the Philippines President and broadcast on Philippines TV.

I hope this helps!

Regards: Jim

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phillipines -- best tourist things to see and do

For nice beaches, Boracay is an hours flight from Manila.

ryd
sydney, australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: phillipines -- best tourist things to see and do

i joined a walking tour of Intramuros (2 hours) with Carlos Celdran http://celdrantours.blogspot.com/ . He presents it in a theatrical jovial way which is quite enjoyable. After the tour, I had lunch a few blocks away in Illustrado (http://www.ilustradorestaurant.com/) which itself has heritage and historic value.

After lunch I proceeded northwards alone to Fort Santiago for some historical reflections of the past during the Spanish times and Jose Rizal.

The Ayala museum in Greenbelt has some historical diorama collections of Fernando Zobel. http://www.ayalamuseum.com/

I stayed in Makati near Greenbelt so this place was convenient for me to visit once i got bored with shopping.

as far as real native festivals are concerned, i think you're better off heading out of town.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: phillipines -- best tourist things to see and do

You'll see Manila in a different light by joining any of the interesting walking tours of the city. Check out

http://www.oldmanilawalks.com/

Its a pity that even people from Manila arent familiar with the sights and information being shared during these walks. Like the old line "dayuhan sa sariling bayan" (stranger in one's homeland). Several interesting tours (some cheap and some free/voluntary donations only tours too!). I hope to experience the rest of the tours myself!

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
533 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: phillipines -- best tourist things to see and do

Hi there...

Seems youll be in town nearing Christmas holidays (though its preparations have been always been pushed further and further nearer to the 25th)

As mentioned: Intramuros (the walking tours of Carlos Celdran & Ivan Dy), Chinatown and Divisoria (wholesale heaven.. go early since its near Christmas) Quiapo is recommended but need to have your wits about you.

If you need to go to makati(the central business district), there is a more scenic route we took... we rode a one hour, cheapo river ferry that docks of near Chinatown winding up the pasig river up to Guadalupe in Makati (cabs are plentiful to go to malls)

Tagaytay's Taal Volcano and Laguna's Hispanic Towns are a close drive from Manila (though you might want to consider the expressways heading south are being repaired)

Further up north are Baguio, Sagada or Banaue (its quite safe), colonial town Vigan (bus routes available better highways)

Down south are Boracay (one hour chartered flight) Cebu & scenic Bohol (one hour domestic flight), El Nido & Puerto Princesa-Underground River, Palawan (chartered hour long flight for El Nido and one hour domestic flight for Puerto Princesa)

As for festivals, there is a religious procession in Intramuros (Either at the Manila Cathedral or San Agustin) around Dec. 8 commemorating the Roman Catholic Feast of Immaculate Concepcion.

Check out department of tourism website for the places and festivals.

Enjoy.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
15 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: phillipines -- best tourist things to see and do

1st, Philippines is a safety travel destinations. But i believe in every country or place there are as_ _ _ _ e! hehe

Your vacation is holiday season. Expect traffic with a lot of Christmas lights hehe.

Have a buddy to show u arround. If your a FIL-AM and good looking, im free. LOL

Malls

-SM Mega Mall and Shangri la Mall

these two are just beside each other. you need walk for 5 to 10 mins to get from one to another. It's a nice place with complete shops and you can finish in a day. Shangri la looks expensive. It is. hehe. But there are still "best buy" or reasonable prices.

-SM Mall of Asia

LOL i never been here. But it's a must to try atleast to stroll for some hours or sit by the resto in the bay.

Church

-A LOT. check out the one from Manila or on the way to destination get-a-way.

-Beaches

This depends what you like...night life or calm and peaceful.

If you are planning for Boracay, you need to book in advance. Specially near the holidays. But i personally dont suggest this place. Too commercialized not like before . But as i say "Boracay will always be Boracay"

Bohol is a good alternative. You can go by Cebu to make the trip worth while.

In Luzon for beach road trip, Bolinao is nice. Another is the way to Ilocos Norte/Pagudpod. But travel by car or bus is tiring. But you got to see a lot of places. I suggest travel by car. Then try to visit church, some historical site and taste the good food on the way.

Isla Naburot

My place, Guimaras. Nice, calm and peaceful place. Some sites to visit also while in Guimaras. Oil spill? this area is not affected.

The best mangos are from Guimaras.

Corriegidor Island

very near to manila by speed boat. dont take bus then travel by boat to the island. Waste of time. Unless your local from Cavite or Bataan. You can fix a tent by the beach or go by the hotel. Be nice to the guards but no need to bribe hehe (joke) They are very nice. They miss talking to families and friends because of guarding this place. I have been here 3x hehe. Don't forget the trip to Malinta cave at night. Enjoy the place. Bring some snacks. This place is educational, relaxing and reasonable price.

El Nido Palawan

the famous "resort" is quite expensive. but anywhere the water is the same hehe. it' s your choice where to stay but be sure to go island hopping.

Place of Interest

Tagaytay. If you like to go to the crater?? (tagaytay is the crater itself) please put sunblock hehe or bring umbrella. Resto are quite nice but expensive for me. But Mushroom Burger is a must to try. On the way to Tagaytay, there are selling cheap buko.

Baguio, Sagada and Banaue ( you may go in this order).

Rizal Park, Fort Santiago, Museum, a walk in Malate, Roxas Blvd, and a ride or LRT. You may try ride a jeepney and tricycle.

Taxi, its expensive for tourist. Ask them to use METER. You may also take BUS, MRT/LRT and jeepney. just be ready for small dominations and coins. English speaking is not a problem. even street children can answer to you. BUT regardless of country, always BE CAREFUL.

Jollibee, it's a must to try the chicken joy, spaghetti and palabok. other stuff is almost same in US.

Filipino dishes, for me the best is home cook ones than in resto . SISIG, CRIPY PATA, FISH INIHAW, BBQ PORK BELLY, LECHON, SEAFOODS and a lot more.

The easiest are ANDOK's or Baliwag to buy chicken/pork roast. Its available anywhere.

If going back, dont forget to buy 7D dried mangos from SM. Goldilocks Polvoron, Pastillas or anything u have like that can be carry, but dont but at the airport.

Better tell us more what u like. Enjoy your stay. Good luck.

8. Re: phillipines -- best tourist things to see and do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 11:17