We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

offered an assignment in Manila and Indonesia

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
145 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
offered an assignment in Manila and Indonesia

I have been offered an assignment in Manila or indonesia for 3 years. I would appreciate any advise as to which destination is a more preferred. safer for our family consisting of 2 elementary school kids.

thanks

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: offered an assignment in Manila and Indonesia

I can not speak for Indonesia, I’ve never been there. But in the Philippines, you get a population that uses English as its second language. So for the most part, the language barrier is not substantial. The schools are rated some of the best in Asia. And there are many private schools that cater to foreign nationals, so your kids will not be alone in their situation, as they will be in school with other kids from other countries (as well as Filipinos who choose to go to those schools). They do cost a bit more, but if your company is like mine, they will cover most, if not all of the cost.

Security – (I’m not going to get into the Muslim vs. Christian country thing – you know where you are from - Westerner, European, Asian, etc, and you know your religion – Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, n/a. You know the times we live in, so draw your own opinions and conclusions). I will assume you will live in Manila. Its crime is the same as any other big city in the world I would guess. You just practice common sense as you would in any big city, and you should be fine. You might find the security a bit over done sometimes (armed guards are everywhere, from banks to bakery’s), but I think that helps deter crime. I feel perfectly safe when I’m there.

In a sense, being a foreigner you will not be seen as an oddity. I think it’s like other western countries, you will just be seen as another person just trying to make a living (globalization making the world smaller). And Filipinos are a very friendly people. You will make very good life long friends there. As for your kids - I’ve seen groups of kids after school, made up of a mix of races (Westerner, Indian, Filipino, etc), just hanging out together at the Mall or at the movies. So your kids should not feel so isolated as I’m sure they can assimilate. Like I said, English is primarily used in the schools, so your kids will get along and communicate with the other kids with no problem.

I live in the Phils one month out of the year, for the past 8 years now. It’s my second home (I’m a Filipino, lived in the US most of my life). So this is my take on your situation. You should elicit opinions of other foreigners who have been in your situation, and of course the local Filipinos on this board. In other words – do your due diligence. I also have two school age children, so I know this is not an easy decision.

fairfield...
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: offered an assignment in Manila and Indonesia

liketotraveldc,

<safer for our family>

PHILIPPINES(period). No need to justify!!!

Papalo

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
643 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: offered an assignment in Manila and Indonesia

If you are concerned about how your kids are likely to adapt in a foreign land, then the Philippines would offer more adaptability to any foreigner especially if you're an American. The Philippines has been under Spanish colonization for more than 3 centuries and under American rule for some decades which explains the Filipinos' adaptability to any foreign land they settle in (You can see Filipinos anywhere in the world no matter how far) Filipinos like friends of other nationalities so you and your kids are better off here. This is a country where English is spoken or, at least, understood, by almost all people, all signs are in English, the main newspapers are in English, most radio broadcasts (in FM) are in English, cinemas show a majority of English movies, there is a proliferation of American and other foreign brands in the market and just about everywhere are signs that the Philippines is truly westernized.

About safety, you are no less safe here than anywhere else in the world as long as you practice common sense. There are a lot of foreigners living here and they have adapted to this country as their second home. Some have opted to settle here permanently.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: offered an assignment in Manila and Indonesia

A good friend of mine from Australia spent several years teaching in both the Philippines and Indonesia (Jakarta) and definately preferred the Phils, if that's any help!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
145 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: offered an assignment in Manila and Indonesia

thank you all for your responses... but fate has destined for us to go to Indonesia... Jakarta.. .so please do wish us all the best.

thanks again

6. Re: offered an assignment in Manila and Indonesia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 13:18