We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malate or Makati?

NYC
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Malate or Makati?

I am spending a couple of days in Manila next month & want to see a few of the main sites while I recover from jet lag & before I go to Cebu. I had planned to stay in Malate since it is close to the airport, close to the bay & the bay walk, & it has been described to me as the "real old" Manila with interesting cafes, bars etc.,... But I just heard that they closed all the open air bars along the baywalk, true? Has that really taken the life out of the area?

Some people, from the PH have had reservations about me staying there & have suggested Makati as safer & cleaner, with less touts & pros walking around than Malate. I assume this to be very nice, but with the same stores and vibe as any city around the world.

What say you residents & frequent visitors?

I should add that I am a relatively experienced traveler on my own.

Diniwid, Boracay
Level Contributor
227 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malate or Makati?

True enough...BAy Walk has been closed..seems Mayor Lim worried about youth lingering there in the day...RIGHT HERE IN RIVER CITY...

LOL...did he do anything about children fllying kites in trappik. hehehe.

same vibe as any city around the world.....???

Not in my book...unlike anyplace in the world.

Its not about ..cafes/bars/buildings...its all about the people...plenty of great places to meet people in Malate and Makati.

Enjoy!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malate or Makati?

Its fairly easy to get around anyway. But you can never estimate travel time by distance but by traffic and time of day.

I love Malate, but I'd stay in Makati. But then again...

Makati is still a big city. If you choose to stay near the malls and commercial areas (within the Central Business District), Makati gets my vote. But if you plan to choose among any of the hotels near the P. Burgos area (as there are many hotels and budget inss there as well), its no different from the negative points you've mentioned about Manila.

The baywalk scene is really sad nowadays. But there are still plenty of things to see and experience in Manila other than that.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
533 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malate or Makati?

Love Malate.

There was a time that it was like Manila's East Village & a sprinkling of the Upper East Side with some of Manila's artsy elite had high ceiling art deco apartments overlooking Manila Bay. Some of the best Philippine designers had their atelier there. It had Manila's more interesting set of eateries, antique and clothing stores (Casa Armas, Adriatico, Havana,Cosa Nostra,Sala, shortlived Raj,Fidel & Acquario,etc...) and despite the ups and downs, it held its own grounds.

Baywalks eateries, personally, was a blessing and a curse. It brought the people out for a good round of drinks, some barbeque and good karaoke... but there were times the drinking got so bad, the baywalk became littered and the karaoke got too loud at 4am (to the chagrin of some friends living in Malate)

I live & work in Makati. Its like any business district in the world, non descrip with people rushing in and out of work. Some of Malate's best restos migrated to Makati (People's Palace & Sala). Its convenient, glass skyscrapers & shopping malls littered (antiseptic) and your mandatory Gucci & LV store you can find anywhere in the world (i wouldnt think its anything compared to the Upper East Side though). But if your definition of comfort and convenience borders on the non-descrip Time Warner.. then makati might be the closest.

Anyway, maybe Malate will have its day again someday.

4. Re: Malate or Makati?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2008, 15:39
NYC
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Malate or Makati?

OK, i see the trend is towards Makati. I admit being a little disappointed since I was set to like the Malate of my imagination, & the "Time Warner Center" reference is exactly what I imagine Makati to resemble: international corporate retailers ensconced in glass towers pushing the same Banana Republic wares I can see anywhere without leaving home. (In fact here in NYC I've never even bothered to go to the TWC - I'd go to one of their restaurants tho if someone else is buying. Typically I go to a residential neighborhood like Union Square or The Village.)

I suppose better a little aircon comfort as I acclimate to the heat & shrug off the jet lag for a couple of days. Maybe I should stay at the Hyatt in Malate the day before I depart for home, that may suffice.

Thanks to all who helped!

Eastern Shore of...
Level Contributor
781 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malate or Makati?

It is easy to have the best of both worlds if you use the MRT/LRT to avoid daytime traffic.

Malate has more character and that includes all the scars and blemishes of any big Asian city whereas Makati is more upscale, slightly less bustling...but still not like NYC.

Both have plenty of nightlife, but Malate may be a bit less pricey.

The Hyatt is an excellent hotel and has all the amenities you will want or need. It usually has great rates on their website. A similar hotel in Makati is $25 to $50 more a night.

Enjoy!

7. Re: Malate or Makati?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 18:19