We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

makati or ermita or malate

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
malaysia
5 posts
Save Topic
makati or ermita or malate

hi there!

i just want to ask your opinion. i'm going to manila and would like to know which area should i stay? makati or ermita or malate? i'm going with few friends and we tend to do lots of shopping and sightseeing. and if you don't mind, please suggest the hotel(s) that we can get easy public transportation (lrt etc) . thanks.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
434 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: makati or ermita or malate

Of the three, Makati gets my vote. You did not mention your budget so I recommend Makati Shangrila, Mandarin Oriental & Intercon Hotel. You can check the reviews of these hotels here in Trip Advisor. All three are accessible to public transpo mainly taxis.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: makati or ermita or malate

Definitely Makati!

malaysia
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: makati or ermita or malate

why makati? what are the reasons?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
434 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: makati or ermita or malate

My primary basis were your reasons: lots of shopping & sightseeing. "Lots of shopping" is the main reason I chose Makati. As for sighsteeing, hmmm.. what do you have in mind? Old churches? Manila Bay sunset?

Please be specific about your "lots of shopping". What are you looking to buy in particular? I hope it's not fake luxury goods!! LOL!!!!

Makati has a lot to offer compared to the other two you mentioned. Well, this is just my opinion though.

In Makati you will find both high-end (original luxury brands like Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Tod's, Bulgari,Burberry etc) and medium to affordable like the ones you'll find in Landmark & SM Makati. For Philippine crafts & souvenirs, there's Balikbayan handicrafts along Pasay Road. Greenbelt 5 has an interesting mix of shops by Filipino artists & designers.

Also Rustan's for different kinds of merchandise (global & in house Filipino brands), different global brands of make-up at Essences.

eire
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: makati or ermita or malate

i highly recommend makati on your three options...there's a lot of shopping malls, restaurants, hotels and the area is near other major cities and transportation there won't be a problem. Most tourists stays on this area

Eastern Shore of...
Level Contributor
781 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: makati or ermita or malate

For day to day transportation around Manila, learn to use the MRT and LRT from wherever you choose to stay. It will make your trip immeasurably better. You can kill an entire day just sitting in traffic if you opt for a taxi at the wrong time to the wrong place.

Makati has a big MRT station at Glorietta. Malate and Ermita are close to the LRT as well.

For interesting, cheap shopping, head out to Cubao and the malls in that vacinity. For me, it is more interesting and more fun than the same SM over and over again. If you must do the huge Americanized mall experience, I recommend heading out to the last sop on the MRT to Trinoma. It is a new mall with all the bells and whistles and half the crowd. Plus, it is a hundred meter walk from the train.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
10 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: makati or ermita or malate

Makati is the business district whereas the Ermita/Malate used to be the red light district. Its a seedy neighborhood/place. You should be careful walking around Ermita/malate. Most people here would recommend Makati for the relative safety of the place. There are lots to do, easier to move around, more places to shop. No question, Makati.

New York
Level Contributor
102 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: makati or ermita or malate

It all depends on what experience you are looking for and your budget. We stayed in Malate and found it a good point to get around from - we did spend some time in Makati but as noted its the business district with some high end hotels and shopping malls. Malate was a convenient location, some good restaurants and shopping. Coming from NYC I found Makati had same stores and hotels so I was looking for something different. We felt quite safe in Malate, and it met our one criteria of having a Starbucks in walking distance!!! Enjoy your trip!

malaysia
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: makati or ermita or malate

thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
159 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: makati or ermita or malate

makati is soooooooooooooooooo safe. and if you are a tourist, zero culture shock!

you can walk makati!

in makati there are malls, A LOT OF SHOPS (try glorietta and greenbelt malls), a few museums. makati is modern manila. a lot of tall buildings but not as tall as the petronas.