We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Near Intramuros for Single Female

Asia
1 post
Save Topic
Hotel Near Intramuros for Single Female

Hi everyone,

I will be traveling to Manila for the first time in February/March 2008 and hope to spend most of my time at the Intramuros and National Library on T M Kalaw Street. Any safe/clean hotel recommendations, I'll be traveling on my own. Budget anything under $70/night US but will pay more if something else is best. Internet would also be a plus.

Thanks!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Near Intramuros for Single Female

Hello Lezah

Look for hotels on Roxas Boulevarde that claim to be near the US embassy. There are several reasonably priced places there and the US embassy is just near Intramuros.

Otherwise, my favourite is the Aloha hotel a bit further along Roxas Boulevarde. It is on the corner of Roxas Boulevarde and Quirino Avenue. Rooms with a view of the bay and the Manila yacht marina were about usd $60, a year ago.

The Aloha has it's own internet cafe, two restaurants, nice rooms with aircon, cable tv, private bathroom and matrimonial bed. Nearby is the very large mall called Harrison Plaza with many other dining options and shopping options.

Check this map:

…photobucket.com/albums/…Harrison.jpg

I hope this helps

Regards: Jim

Eastern Shore of...
Level Contributor
781 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Near Intramuros for Single Female

Lezah, you have a ton of options. BJC makes some good suggestions.

Here are my thoughts.There is a new hotel on Adriatico Street called Hostel 1632 that is run by a local university for Hotel and Restaurant Management. It is a great deal if you do not mind a room on the small side. It has everything you need like a shower, restroom, air conditioning and TV as well as included breakfast. The service is impeccable. I assume they have internet as well, but that is hardly a problem as there are cafes everywhere in that neighborhood. A large mall (Robinson's) with additional internet cafes is right around the corner. The best part is that it is 750 pesos (18USD/night NET). It should be seriously considered on your list. It is a small accomodation, but it is better than many of the mid-range hotels in the area that are bigger, but older. I have stayed there and will stay there again.

Getting to the National Library should be fairly easy and cheap even if you use taxis daily. It is almost walking distance.

Another option is the CSB International Conference Center on Arellano Avenue at the corner of Estrada Street. It, too, is a hotel run by a local HRM university. It is more expensive and the rooms are large, but not much nicer than Hostel 1632. It has included breakfast as well and I just paid around $65/night net last week. It has roof top swimming pool and deck which gives a great view of the city. There is a bar up there as well. You might use the LRT at Vito Cruz to go a few stops to get close to the National Library. It is about 10 pesos each way and is really convenient. There is an internet cafe directly across the street from the hotel. It is in a quieter area than the entertainment section of Malate/Ermita and all the rooms are on the upper floors.

If you want luxury, consider the Diamond ($100/night net on asiatravel.com), the Hyatt (use their website for best rates, $135/night not including taxes) and Pan Pacific ($135/ night net on asiatravel.com). They are all great facilities and you can probably get internet there for a price in your room.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

3. Re: Hotel Near Intramuros for Single Female

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2008, 06:02
travelling
Level Contributor
384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Near Intramuros for Single Female

Goodpace

I like the sound of Hostel 1632. How far is it from Remedios Circle? Do they have both aircon and fan rooms? how's the food?

Thanks.

travelling
Level Contributor
384 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Near Intramuros for Single Female

Lysa_ens you ought to read the forum guidelines.

Eastern Shore of...
Level Contributor
781 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Near Intramuros for Single Female

I would guess that Hostel 1632 is five blocks or so from Remedios Circle.

Food is decent, but options abound in the neighborhood.

I have only ever had air conditioning in the room.

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Near Intramuros for Single Female

You can also check out Friendly's Guest House which has very reasonable rates -- http://www.friendlysguesthouse.com/ which is at the corner of Adriatico and Nakpil Sts. It's halfway (?) between the Remedios Circle and Robinson's Place.

Unfortunately, I can't give you a review because everytime I try to book a friend there, it's full =)

Eastern Shore of...
Level Contributor
781 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Near Intramuros for Single Female

Friendly's is just down the street from Hostel 1632. They are world's different. Friendly's is very cheap. 200 pesos in a shared room. Bare bones. For someone really watching the pesos and content with group room sharing in a true hostel like environment. Shared restrooms. It is urban camping.

Unless you are really slumming it, Hostel 1632 in light years better IMO.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Near Intramuros for Single Female

I have stayed at Friendly's Guesthouse several times. Yes, it can be bare bones, but they do have private rooms and free wireless Internet access.

Good atmosphere, good kitchen for cooking your own meals, and Benjie is always helpful.

Just my two cents.

10. Re: Hotel Near Intramuros for Single Female

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 21:21
Get answers to your questions about Manila
Recent Conversations