We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manila walking

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
Manila walking

Stopping in the port at Manila.

Is it possible to walk to Mall of Asia and Intramusros or am I way off the mark?

Tried to book a walking tour but closed on the day we are there.

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Tourist Driver Manila
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
ePhilippines Adventure Travel and Destinations
Multi-day Tours, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Yolo Travel Philippines
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Pampanga
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Manila walking

from the port its possible to walk going to Intramuros, but I suggest that you catch a txi from the port going to intamuros, tell the taxi to take you to Fort Santiago located within the confines of the Walled city of Intramuros, hope there is a tourist center, after Intramuros catch another taxi if you want to stroll in Mall of Asia, it's about 5km from Intamuros, depending on traffic 30-60 mins max travel time

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
2,990 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Fort Santiago
Fort Santiago
1,703 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Asia
Asia
World
Lancashire
Level Contributor
281 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manila walking

Manila is not a walking type of place. Leastwise not in the heat of the day. Forget Mall of Asia its rubbish. Get taxi to Intramuros. Also get taxi to Greenbelt and try a drink in Havanna cafe. Also have a walk around Malate at night. A special day trip would be Coreggidor. But forget walking about during day time unless you want to suffer heat exhaustion. And keep your money safe and don't talk to beggars.

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Intramuros
Intramuros
2,990 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manila walking

It might be better to take a taxi to Intramuros since walking might make you tired easily due to the summer heat. Try to book a walking tour with Carlos Celdran at www.celdrantours.blogspot.com

As for the Mall of Asia, it still worth visiting, especially for souvenir shopping at the Kultura Filipino at the Main Mall. At least you don't have to worry about being overpriced since products sold there are fixed.

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
2,990 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Asia
Asia
World
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manila walking

Thanks for you quick replies. I tried booking Carlos but we stop on a Monday and that's his day off.

I normally walk everywhere (even in the heat), however thanks for the tips I may just use the taxis on this occasion.

We only have the one day (0800-1800) Intramuros is a must. Malls i'm not too bothered by, although my wife may fancy seeing one.

Any suggestions for visits would be gratefully received. (I note the Havana cafe one)

Slanthe

Jim

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
2,990 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Palompon...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,940 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manila walking

Do you know which pier you are docking at?

The closest pier is only a few hundred yards from Intramuros.

Regards: Jim

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
2,990 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manila walking

try www.oldmanilawalks.com

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manila walking

Hi

i am also walker and the answer to your question is yes.

However the walk from the mall of Asia to the beginning of the Baywalk via the Philippine Plaza hotel is probably a waste of time as there isn't a great deal to see.

I started at the Yatch Club which has great views across to the Baywalk and the Manila skyline.Walk up the bay walk all the way to the Manila hotel.Or you can cross over before reaching the hotel and walk through Rizal park before continuing onto Instramuros and Fort Santiago.

I then continued on along the Pasig river over the bridge and onto Quiapo (spelling?) Church.

It is a long walk but very enjoyable.I caught the train back to Vito Cruz (for Centurt Park Hotel) though as I think I'd had enough walking for the day!

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Fort Santiago
Fort Santiago
1,703 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Pasig
Pasig
Luzon, Philippines
8. Re: Manila walking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 03:18