We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One month in Manila in March

Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
One month in Manila in March

Hi,

I will be in Manila for one month on Business Trip. I am clueless (should I travel out of Manila to other states etc) places to go or things to do over the weekends. Any suggestion/recommendation pls.

london
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One month in Manila in March

Definitely travel out Bling, Manila can take alot out of you with all the hustle and bustle of heavy traffic and air quality but I gotta admit I do find it exciting, expecially nightlife!

If you wanna really good weekend get the Swagman bus from their Ermita Hotel too Batangas (about 2-3 hours away on the coast) and take a cross channel ferry to Mindoro Island and go to either Puerto Galera or White Beach, but for a quaint little seaside place Sabang which has a few good night spots and lovely little restaurants and its all so relaxed and charming, we love it there. Although if you could make it a long weekend like getting a Monday or Friday off also that would be better. People are so friendly and your meet some vendors here and there. Tagaytay is also good for a day trip overlooking the Taal volcano, you could always hire a driver from somewhere and go to the peoples park, and if you do enjoy vibrant nightlife Angeles City, 2 hours from Metro Manila (also by a Swagman bus) will blow you away, tens and tens of exciting clubs and good San Mig beer. You could also take a flight down to Cebu, that is also an exciting place. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Metro Manila
Metro Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Metro Manila
Level Contributor
51 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One month in Manila in March

Travel out, definitely. There are so many places to go in the Philippines, and one month is definitely not enough. What are your interests, so that I can give you suggestions suited to your preferences? :)

For sure, the Philippines has a lot of beaches. Vibrant nightlife. We have mountains, if you prefer cooler places. Shopping. Food. Culture. :)

Let me know your interests.

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Level Contributor
18 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One month in Manila in March

Hi

Definitely get out of Manila.

A weekend north to the rice terraces at Banaue.

Bagio is very crowded and urban.

You can fly to Cebu for next to nothing, Malapasqua at the north end is a great island and has thresher sharks if you are a diver.

Siquijor is wonderful, stay at the Coconut Grove.

Palawan, especially the north is very good, Coron for wreck diving.

You must do the day trip to Corrigador in Manila harbor

Get out of town and enjoy!

Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One month in Manila in March

Monday to Friday I will be tied up with Monday, therefore I only have Saturday and Sunday for me to explore.

More of sightseeing, no really into shopping.

I would like to travel to Cebu (Have been hearing so much of Cebu) but not sure if time permits.

Metro Manila
Level Contributor
51 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One month in Manila in March

Try to go around Manila on your first few days or first weekend. For heritage and culture sights, old Manila would be great -- Intramuros, Fort Santiago, Rizal Park, Roxas Boulevard, Malate. It's a combination of culture, history and nightlife.

A weekend may be a bit short for Cebu, but it is doable.

Here are other suggestions -- a good mix of nature and culture/heritage. These places aren't too far from Manila, but beautiful nonetheless:

1. Tagaytay / Batangas

- Taal Volcano (Tagaytay) and its surrounding towns

- Taal Heritage Village

- Anilao, Batangas is a great place diving and snorkeling. Beautiful marine life that is a good example of one of the country's many natural resources.

- Batangas Beaches/Resorts like: Matabungkay, White Sands, Punta Fuego and Nasugbu

2. Subic

Subic is also frequented for their beaches and watersports but if you're going to Batangas, you can give this a miss and go on hiking and forest adventures instead. There's also a new, faster road from Manila to Subic which would shorten travel time to around 1.5 to 2 hours instead of the usual 3-4. :)

- Zoobic Safari

- Treetop Adventure (http://treetopadventure.com.ph/)

- Ocean Adventure (http://www.oceanadventure.com.ph/)

3. Baguio* (http://www.baguio.gov.ph/)

Baguio is known as the country's summer capital because of its cool weather. If you only have the weekend to go there, I suggest you take the plane. Normally, it'd take around 7 hours (one-way).

- Mines View Park

- Burnham Park

- Strawberry Fields

Things you can do there aside from sightseeing: go horseback riding, go strawberry picking, buy woven articles and wood carvings. For the best peanut brittle, strawberry jam, ube jam and other native delicacies, go to the Good Shepherd Convent.

*I'm not really sure when you are planning to come, but if it'll be this February, try to make it to the Panagbenga - Baguio Flower Festival. Baguio takes less than an hour from Manila by air. :)

You may also want to check out upcoming festivals and get a taste of the Filipino culture: lakbaypilipinas.com/philippine_festivals.html

Hope this helped. Feel free to ask questions if you have more.

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
2,987 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Fort Santiago
Fort Santiago
1,700 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Rizal Park
Rizal Park
1,717 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Roxas Boulevard
Roxas Boulevard
191 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
733 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One month in Manila in March

I've done a lot of quick weekend trips to get away from the busy city life. But for me, quick weekend trips means maximizing your time in your destination - not travelin to and from your destination.

Which is why I'd suggest you do quick trips via air. If you check the flight schedules of Cebu Pacific (www.cebupacificair.com) or Philippine Airlines (www.philippineairlines.com), there are flights out to several domestic destinations leaving Manila as early as 4am, and you can fly out back to Manila with the last flight back arriving Manila at around 11pm.

You can take a 430 flight to Cebu via Philippine Airlines and arrive Cebu before 6am. You can leave your stuff at your booked hotel (preferably any of the Mactan hotels) since check in time is usually 2pm. Use your morning to check out the city. Then after lunch, go back and enjoy the beach, the sun, and other activities in your hotel. Staying overnight, then you have another afternoon to explore the nearby sights, or request for a late checkout. The last flight leaves Cebu at 9pm and arrives Manila around 10pm.

There are similar flights (early morning out, late evening back) to Davao, Boracay via Caticlan (late afternoon only), and others.

The key is proper planning. Make sure you familiarize yourself with the destination before going there to make the most of your time. I've done overnight getaways to Cebu, Boracay, Davao, and Tagbilaran, Bohol (though the flight back to Manila is just late afternoon, similar to Caticlan, around 5pm). I've even sucesffuly experienced several whaleshark encounters in Donsol, Sorsogon via Legaspi with mostly overnight trips. There was one time I was out and back to Manila in one day, taking the first flight to Legaspi, went straight to Donsol, did the whaleshark encounter, then after an early lunch drove back to Legaspi for a quick look at Mayon Volcano and the flight back at around 3pm. (Though we had to take Philippine Airlines for the morning flight and Cebu Pacific for the flight back in the afternoon). Some may find this crazy, but for us who are always busy and don't have that much time make do with the time we have. And yes we do enjoy these little amazing race episodes in our lives. But really, with proper planning and research, and money to spend of course, you can see and experience a lot, even with limited time.

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
Panay Island, Philippines
7. Re: One month in Manila in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 07:20