We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Collie WA
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Diving

Hi

I would like to know if I would be able to do a days diving from Manila or would I have to get a flight to other parts of the Philippines.

What would be a goood dive shop to use.

Thankyou

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,846 posts
1,983 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving

I am not a diver, but you could go by bus and banca (boat) to Puerto Galera, about a four hour trip from Manila. A bus leaves Citystate Hotel in Ermita (Manila) daily at I think 0800.

Alternatively, you could fly on Cebu Pacific or PAL, or take a ferry to Dumaguete for Apo Island diving, or fly or take a ferry (latter: one company is www.superferry.com.ph) to Cebu, then either head north to Malapascua or southwest to Moalboal.

This is not an exhaustive list of destinations, and as always, some helpful locals will have far more knowledge than me.

The Philippines is a great destination: PAL currently has a sale ex Melbourne or Sydney: A$700 return or so, book by 15 June for travel by 30 November. You cannot book this deal on its Internet site: try your travel agent or www.zuji.com.au, but book domestic flights online at Cebu Pacific or PAL sites as latter are cheaper that way.

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving

Hi, the closest places would be Anilao in Batangas (approx 2 hours by land, south of Manila) and Subic (approx 2.5 hours by land north of Manila) -- however, Anilao is better known for diving than Subic. I'm not a diver either, so I can't recommend a dive shop. You can good PADI Philippines to get a listing.

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving

No, you cannot do diving in Manila. There are no known dive sites within MetroManila.

There are dive shops in Manila that will arrange to have you dive in the nearest place, Anilao, as one of the posters mentioned above.

Other popular dive sites reachable by plane are Coron (for wreck diving), Tubataha (a heritage site), to name a few.

UK
Level Contributor
289 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving

Strewth....

Anilao is the nearest diving area to Manila (2 hours?), but Subic bay is 2.5 hours . I loved Subic because I'm interested in History and loved wreck diving. Sitting on wrecks at the bottom of the bay was fantastic. You can dive the notorious japanese hellships. There's also a great hellships memorial in SBMA.

I went with blue rock cos their gear was immaculate. Jun was a great dive leader and a fun guy!

http://www.divebluerock.net/home.html

Enjoy

5. Re: Diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2009, 06:21