We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manila is safe....

Melbourne
Level Contributor
199 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Manila is safe....

Hey,

Well, I have just left Manila after a wonderful stay. I had no problems at all, Stayed in Ermita and walked the streets at night as late as midnight.

Yes, there are homeless people, kids and adults begging, but nothing I hadn't experience even in Melbourne. Even saw a women run naked past my hotel....hehehe

My biggest problem would have been i would still be waiting to cross a road as no one mentioned you just walk in fromt of the traffic...I felt safe and yes, I even visited McLaren Market etc. I used the train, Jeepneys, taxis etc all over the place. Danger.....the only danger i felt was traffic on the wrong side of the road for us aussies.!!

As a single white female I had no trouble, and would recommend anyone ot cisit, just use your common sense.

There are security everywhere, but no more so than I have seen in Thailand, and most are unarmed....I saw this myself. Going through scanners etc just make me feel safer in places.

A Big thank you to those on here who helped me with advice, It was much appreciated. I will definalty return. I have to visit my new friends :)

I stayed at the Paco Oasis hotel, yes it is an older hotel, but so are msot other places I saw, it was clean, spotless to be exact, huge rooms, shower etc. I couldn;pt complain at all....just the excess charges like 33p for an extra slice of toast etc.

I will write more in aday or so as i am still on holiday.

Thank you everyone who advised me.................Frank and Noime.....your LEGENDS - miss you already...and it has only been 5 hours...

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Paco Park
Paco Park
211 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manila is safe....

Glad to hear you didn't encounter any untoward incident. Do you mind sharing your itinerary for others' reference? Places you went, how you went there and where you ate, etc.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manila is safe....

Not a problem..just give me time as i am not home for another week so mayube take 2 weeks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manila is safe....

Friday

Paco Park

Jeepney to Quiapo, Hidalgo St – buying CDs Ate in Chowking Hidalgo St

Jeepney to Intramuros

Walked Victoria, Sta Lucia. Drink in Carinderia Sta Lucia,

Manila Cathedral, Fort Santiago.

Walk to Taft Ave, Jeepney to Del Pilar,

Walk to Bank Mabini St for ATM

Walk to Robinsons Mall

Ate in Robinsons Ermita, Mangan

Jeepney to San Marcelino St, Walk to hotel

Saturday

Zoobic Safari

Ocean Adventure

Walk to Jollibee, Taft Ave

Sunday

LRT to Baclaran

CDs and Bags etc

Metropoint Mang Inasal for lunch

Jeepney to Kalaw, Walk to Manila Ocean Park

Walk down Roxas Blvd, see 0km point, Rizal Monument

Walk to Barrio Fiesta, UN Ave

Taxi to Hotel

Monday

Walk to SM Manila

Ate in foodcourt

Walk back to Hotel

Crazy route to NLEX

Car broke down on Fuguso. New vehicle, opposite dirction to Andalucia, , Dapitan, Laxson. Nagtahan Bridge, Jesus Palampung Laura, Carreon, Tejeron, JP Rizal, Kalayaan, EDSA South bound, UTrn Slot, Northbound to NLEX

Mentioned in this post
Paco Park
Paco Park
211 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Manila Cathedral
Manila Cathedral
902 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Fort Santiago
Fort Santiago
1,724 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Mabini
Mabini
Luzon, Philippines
Zoobic Safari
Zoobic Safari
507 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Mang Inasal
Mang Inasal
109 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Manila Ocean Park
Manila Ocean Park
1,783 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Rizal Park
Rizal Park
1,736 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Barrio Fiesta
Barrio Fiesta
66 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manila is safe....

wow!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,764 posts
2,125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manila is safe....

I agree. I also recently walked around Manila at night and never once felt threatened. I feel more safe walking around Manila at night than I do walking around Melbourne city at night.

In Melbourne its not so much being robbed but encountering drunks who may want to cause troule when under the weather.

Tommo

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Melbourne
Level Contributor
199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manila is safe....

I agree totally about Melbourne...I dont walk or get trains at night if i can help it, particualry on my line, Sydneham.

I had an action packed few days, and i cant walk alot so i think i did alot! I miss the place already and the friends i made....thanks to TA!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manila is safe....

wow I am jealous you did much on your short stay :) So you followed your instinct then pursuing to travel to Manila after tons of questions and research glad you had a pleasant stay and did much and hope enjoyed very well, did you travel all by yourself or you pursue accepting the help of an online friend!! Any ways you might want to share a review of the places you have been and share photos as well.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,764 posts
2,125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manila is safe....

Vicki

Good to hear you must live out my way as I also frequent the Sydenham train Line. I just came back from a great trip to the Philippines with my wife.Love the place and people.

Tommo

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Level Contributor
199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manila is safe....

Hi,

Yes, I did meet up with great Friends who I have thanked on here, FSRP01. Without him and his lovley wife, I would never have done so much or learned so much aboutthe place, he is a wealth of information.

Instead of stuffing around trying to find things, Frank immediatly knew where to go to find things. My hotel couldn;t even provide a map or anything!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manila is safe....

well vicki - you were very lucky to have frank guide you - out of the bad places

there is absolutely no comparison between melbourne and manila. so manila is like hk then????

nd of story - take those rose coloured glasses off....