We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Freddie Aguilar in Maila 9th -12th March 2009?

Level Contributor
1,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Is Freddie Aguilar in Maila 9th -12th March 2009?

Hi,

I am confident you guys will come up with the answer or a solution!

During our short stay in Manila I would like, if poss, to take my wife to see Freddie Aguilar. Failing that then a good place with Country and Western music.

I remember reading somewhere that he often appears at The Hobbit House.

Would be nice to see him or the other alternative sat round a table having a drink etc. Seems a nice setting that.

Being as he is a very popular singer I would imagine that tickets or reservations need to be made well in advance.

Any suggestions anyone,

Willing to listen to other alternatives for an evening with music. Please not hard rock etc and all that. How I miss the days of hearing people singing Matt Monro numbers, Elvis and Abba.

regards,

Pete

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Freddie Aguilar in Maila 9th -12th March 2009?

Seeing Freddie is much more likely than finding C & W. That is one aspect of the USA that the Filipinos did not catch on to!

Freddie appears at The Hobbit House which is now on the corner of Del Pilar and Arquiza; also at LA Cafe on the corner of Del Pilar and Salas.

He now has a bar in Adriatico near to Pedro Gil called Ka Freddies

But the best way to find him is http://freddieanakaguilar.com/

There are telephone numbers on the website where you can find out where he is appearing.

Level Contributor
1,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Freddie Aguilar in Maila 9th -12th March 2009?

Many thanks for that. My wife will be extremely surprised if I can take her see him!

fairfield...
Level Contributor
898 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Freddie Aguilar in Maila 9th -12th March 2009?

....I am one of those Filipinos that caught on the Country/Western genre, in addition to appreciating classical, pop,oldies, & reggae.

....So, are there any clubs in Metro Manila playing "sh**-kickin'" music?

....Enjoy the melodies...;-)

Papalo

Mentioned in this post
Metro Manila
Metro Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Freddie Aguilar in Maila 9th -12th March 2009?

....So, are there any clubs in Metro Manila playing "sh**-kickin'" music?

I don't really undertsnd that.

Mentioned in this post
Metro Manila
Metro Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Freddie Aguilar in Maila 9th -12th March 2009?

I have recently received an email saying the Freddie only appears on Fri and Sat nights. Sadly we wont be in town on those days.

Any ideas of similar venues and music that I could take my wife to. We are both in our sixties by the way and would prefer more traditional Filipino stuff like Freddie or something from 60's/70's. I am sure you got the idea.

Something nice and intimate if that is possible at all in Manila.

I want to take my wife out for our 30th Anniversary as a special treat with live music etc.

Thanks guys.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Freddie Aguilar in Maila 9th -12th March 2009?

Zamboanga Restaurant in Adriatico is a good night out with a good meal and a cultural show.

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Freddie Aguilar in Maila 9th -12th March 2009?

FSRP,

In the 80’s, such place where called “folkhouse” where a solo or dou, armed with guitar and voice would sing out pieces from James Taylor, Simon & Garfunkle, Crosby Still Nash and Young or similar local recording artists such as Freddie, Florante or Banyuhay.

Those places were hit but due to over-supply and proliferation of other music houses (band, disco, etc), folkhouses went out of business.

Folkhouses are aplenty in Ermita then, but in my recent walk around the place, I noticed none.

Can you have a look if some of it still exists? I would appreciate a reply from you.

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Freddie Aguilar in Maila 9th -12th March 2009?

There is nothing like that nowadays in Ermita. Karaoke is now king!

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Freddie Aguilar in Maila 9th -12th March 2009?

right! i forgot to list that as one of the killer...thanks.

Level Contributor
1,485 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Freddie Aguilar in Maila 9th -12th March 2009?

Thanks guys. Karaoke-- how I hate those places. very difficult to escape them though. Not so bad if the 'singer' can actually sing but more often than not it is always used by people who clearly cannot sing. It must be absolute to live within a short distance of one of those establishments.

Does anyone know what that bar Gpoint is like for music and eating/drinking etc.