We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfares from Chicago to Manila

Springfield, IL
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Airfares from Chicago to Manila

I've been looking closely at airfares between Chicago and Manila for our planned trip in January/February 2011. So far, I've found the best fare on Asiana Airlines at about $1,100 round-trip (taxes and fees included), I have never been to Manila before, so am unable to compare this fare to anything that I've previously experienced. Just wondering if anyone has experience with flying this route and could tell me if this fare is reasonable based on the time of year. Also, would like to hear any experiences with Asiana Airlines.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,746 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfares from Chicago to Manila

Hi,

January and even parts of February are known to be peak season or, in the case of late February, just coming off peak season.. Also, air fares have gone up (in some market substantially) from the lows that many people saw and got used to in 2008 and even 2009..

Given that you're looking for ORD-MNL and at $1100 round-trip/return with all taxes and fees included, I'd say that for a January-February travel date that's not bad at all and I'd call it a very good deal.

On a comparative basis, today you'll be lucky to find R/T fares under $800 from one of the two major west coast gateways (SFO and LAX)-- which are the most competitive in terms of airline pricing.. So, a $300 difference for flying from ORD seems very reasonable and appropriate specially when you consider where are airfares are today and what market (city) you're starting from.

Plus, two other 'perks' come into play with your proposed airline choice.. First, Asiana is an *excellent* airline and I'm sure you'd have a very good experience with them, read up on their service and seating.. and second, you'd transit thru Seoul's Incheon airport-- one of the best airports in the world to do so..

Travel Safe,

Edited: 30 May 2010, 01:52
Mentioned in this post
Ninoy Aquino Intl Airport
Ninoy Aquino Intl Airport
Luzon, Philippines
Vancouver, Wn.
Level Contributor
427 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfares from Chicago to Manila

I agree with the last post. I have made 4 trips from the west coast to the Philippines over the last two years. The best prices I have found have been in the $800 to $900 range.

Mentioned in this post
Eastern Standard...
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfares from Chicago to Manila

Make sure that your price DOES include all taxes and fees! Sign up for the frequent flier program, you get a lot of miles all at one time from the US to Asia! If you have a frequent flier card already see if it will work with Asiana.

www.staralliance.com/en/about/airlines/

With just a silver level card you usually can board the plane sooner than other passengers while the overhead bins are still empty near your seat. Also, you may have a choice of better seats even in economy.

I think you are getting a pretty good price for January. Pull up the prices for a flight today to Manila and compare.

I find the prices for flights to Asia to be higher this year than last year too!

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,182 posts
2,163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfares from Chicago to Manila

From more than 15 million votes, UK-based Skytrax has just awarded Asiana its number one world airline award.

This award is widely regarded by airlines as the most prestigious, so by choosing Asiana hopefully you have made a good choice, although naturally things can and will go wrong (occasionally) with individual flights.

See www.airlinequality.com

These Skytrax awardss receive a lot of media: the large number of votes would make it very difficult for the awards to be rigged, and in my view the fact that it comes out of the UK lends even more credence to it as this is something that the English do very well (that is, be objective with surveys).

Edited: 30 May 2010, 03:04
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,298 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfares from Chicago to Manila

I have more than a dozen of relatives in Chicago and they always take either Korean Airlines or Asiana because they said its the cheapest and they like to connect to Incheon than in Narita (They used to take Northwest which connects via Narita).

Springfield, IL
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfares from Chicago to Manila

Thank you all for the very helpful information. I am most appreciative.

Paul in Land of Lincoln

7. Re: Airfares from Chicago to Manila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2010, 06:19