We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how safe is manila?

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ghent, Belgium
7 posts
Save Topic
how safe is manila?

I planning to travel soon to Manila, and wanna stay in Makati. I wanna go for shopping, relaxing and going out in Makati aria. How safe is it? Iam 30yrs old, white scin, blond hair, blue eyes, do I need to be carefull? can somebody gives me good adivse, thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,678 posts
1,577 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how safe is manila?

Safety has been discussed many times on this forum.

Type in the words 'safe 'in the search facility and you will get many results.

This is some of the previous posts I found:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298573-i3261-k361…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298573-i3261-k307…

Tommo

sydney
Level Contributor
345 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how safe is manila?

i feel safer there than walking around sydney cbd at 2am...it's all relative, just be careful like you would any other city. makati is nice, especially greenbelt area etc..

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,262 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how safe is manila?

as TOMMO said, this has been discussed many times...Makati is safe in the tourist areas at ngiht with precautions..like anywhere else..if you are drunk at 3am on the street alone in any big city..you are a target..

Mactan Island...
Level Contributor
302 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how safe is manila?

Small List That Might Help :

* Any great deals that sound to good to be true.. They are not, walk away.

* Do not ever go with strangers. Period.

* Do not wear expensive Jewelry's or Flash Lots of Cash

* Avoid walking places at night with no lights, no other tourist.

* Do not give out money to anyone, for any reason, except to pay your bills.

* Do not give to money to street children, or beggars, it will draw a crowd. If you want to give, give food. Even then be careful of crowds forming around you.

* Harden your heart to sad story's, emergency requests, and offers of kindness from persons you do not know.. ( Sad but True.)

* If ever you feel threaten, or bad situation, just act like you do not understand, and walk away, and never look back... Go into the first business you come to, ask for a taxi ......

I assume you are male from you ID. So be careful of the aggressive, overly friendly, very sweet females. Even fine dressed, and very proper looking, they can be some of the most dangerous in many fashions.

Now all of that being said, you will love the wonderful people, friendly nature, beautiful scenery, nice shopping, and amazement of The Philippines and The Filipino, who do not fit into the categories mentioned above. Enjoy the " Pearl of The Orient "

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,847 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how safe is manila?

Great advice from the posters above. To sum it all up, do not do things which you also avoid doing in your own country or other European cities. Travel common sense is all you need to bring and you will be perfectly fine. Happy travels!

hawaii
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how safe is manila?

I totally agree with Cebuexpact. He hit the hammer on the nail. Just be cautious and be smart stay at a hotel that is safe and in a nice area.

Don't flash what you have and if going out take only what you need. Leave the credit cards at home if you are going out for the night.

Greenbelt is a really nice place and centrally located to go out from.

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: how safe is manila?

No one can ensure your safety. If things ought to happen, it will happen. Nobody can actually control it. It's great for you to stay in Makati because there are lots of shopping centre there. Why don't you try visiting Ortigas too. You might also enjoy the place.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
247 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how safe is manila?

IT is generally safe in the central part of Makati, like Glorietta and Greenbelt. Just make sure you are always in well lit areas. Dont be too flashy (nice watch etc.) If you dress simply, you are less likely to be targetted by questionable characters.

Always be alert and aware of your surroundings, and dont let your guard down too much... Better to be safe :-)

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how safe is manila?

Laughs. I love those posts. But everything advised are actually true. Even the most decent-looking in a crowd can be someone harmful.

10. Re: how safe is manila?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2011, 06:23