We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from the UK to The Phillipines.

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
staffordshire
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from the UK to The Phillipines.

Can someone please give me some advice regarding flights to The Phillipines from the UK. I have searched unsucessfully for a direct flight to Manila from London, but seem to be drawing a blank. My partner and I are planning to go around March/April next year. (Have to get away in the cold months! Just booked two weeks in Goa for Nov/Dec.) We want to go for two weeks. First of all, how long is the flight? What are the best islands to visit that are beautiful but there is also civilisation (eating out, massage etc). What will the weather be like then? I'd be grateful for any advice. I know no tour operators seem to go to the Phillipines except Audley Travel who are VERY expensive and its not fair of me to ring for advice and waste their time if I don't go with them.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from the UK to The Phillipines.

I do not know how to reply for the airline part but if there are no direct flights from London to Manila, you can try transit flight like Cathay Pacific or Saudi Arabian Airlines.

As for beaches, PHP has a lot to offer. As a almost standard answer, try Boracay. You will need to take a flight from Manila to Caticlan. Other islands to visit are Bohol, Panglao, Camiguin, Palawan, etc.

Philippines is a very affordable place if you DIY.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from the UK to The Phillipines.

Any flights via Hong Kong are recommended. Cathay Pacific will be able to fly you LHR-HKG-MNL on the one ticket.

It is about a 12hr flight LHR-HKG, then change planes (1hr transit is possible), then 2hrs from HKG-MNL.

There are many beaches, but Boracay at that time would be very nice!

Flights from MNL to other Philippine destinations is quite cheap (try Cebu Pacific, SEAir, Air Phils).

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from the UK to The Phillipines.

“or Saudi Arabian Airlines……?” Really mousehunt

Between me and you most people I know do not think of Saudi Arabian airlines as the first option, to get to the Philippines from the UK.

allaboutkaren...

There are no direct flights from London ever since PAL (Philippine Airlines) was banned from using EU airspace and British Airways stopped direct service back in the late 1980’s.

However, getting to the Philippines is not really a problem, if you are flying from regions in the UK then Emirates should be your first option, this saves having to commute to London to get your flight and you get a direct flight, from several regional airports to Dubai, with just a two hour stopover.

Next would be Etihad just down the road from Dubai in Abu Dhabi, I mean it’s a six hour flight to the UAE then at most a two or three hour stopover, enough time to stretch your legs and pick up some souvenirs. These options are good because the connection times are short and the stopover is a good midway break point. The only minor points, first, I would have with these are that coming back you may have the odd early hour connection arrive at 2am depart at 7am. Second, these route tend to get filled up fast as they are popular.

Next you have the hubs at Hong Kong, Bangkok, Malaysia and Singapore most of these are good, but a much longer flight 12 hours then a change, the only minor downside I would say, in my experience with using these is there tends to be a much longer connection time arrive AM and flight leaves early afternoon.

I have used most of these options including Silkair, via Singapore Airlines direct to Cebu. Last November I used a Virgin, PAL option via Hong Kong, I had air miles to use up. When I travel via Bangkok I always stop off for a couple of days anyway.

Out of all of these I have no problem with any but tend to find going via Hong Kong & Singapore the most expensive options, especially when there are any holidays coming up.

For the best prices and best connections then would suggest Emirates or Etihad, because of the number of flights available, two flights daily, and from the UK you can work out if you want to spend a bit longer at the airport in Dubai shopping.

Bangkok is great if you have time to stop off for a few days. Or go via Malaysia and then try the Air Asia route into Manila or Clark Airport, but the connections / schedules are not easy and may require an overnight, but that said Air Asia is cheap and you would require a separate tickets.

Finally, a couple of other options, none of which have used but would consider would be via Europe on Air France or Lufthansa, I was once seriously considering using Lufthansa simply because they have a sale price and the routing would have mean I could use London City Airport (the closest airport to my home) to Frankfurt and on but when I tried to book it was sold out.

Alitalia is a rather long winded route along with Iberian, but if you find a good deal go for it. Some Scandinavian SAS also fly to Manila, but not sure if it’s a daily service. But you are looking at a ballpark price of £550 return to Manila but forget about Saudi Airlines and Kuwait.

Here are a couple of links to get you started:

www.emirates.com/uk

www.etihadairways.com

www.singaporeair.com

www.silkair.com

www.airasia.com

www.philippineairlines.com

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from the UK to The Phillipines.

Unfortunately, there are presently no direct air links between LHR and MNL. You would have to make at least one stop. Some possible options on a single airline would be:

London-Amsterdam-Manila (KLM)

London-Dubai-Manila (Emirates)

London-Doha-Manila (Qatar)

London-Abu Dhabi-Manila (Etihad)

London-Hong Kong-Manila (Cathay Pacific)

London-Singapore-Manila (Singapore Air)

London-Bangkok-Manila (Thai Air)

London-Kuala Lumpur-Manila (Malaysian Air)

There are more options on other airlines but I would recommend any of the above depending on the price and convenient connection schedules. March/April is a great time to visit though it gets warmer towards April as it's officially summer. Boracay would be a good destination for a first time visitor. Others mentioned by mousehunt are likewise highly recommended. For internal flights, you can check any of the ones mentioned above. I suggest you subscribe to their email alerts for possible seat sales.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from the UK to The Phillipines.

Hi Screensilver,

Saudi Arabian Airlines is just one of the many Middle East airlines that flies to PHP. Well, I just gave an example that's all. I would rather fly with Eithad, Qatar and Emirates anytime over Saudi Arabian Airlines. :p

If personally it will to be me, I will fly by Cathay Pacific. If base on line of sight, the LHR-HKG-MNL seems to be the shortest. HKG-MNL is only 2 hours. If you go by SIN-MNL, it will need about 3hrs 30mins.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from the UK to The Phillipines.

i thought lufthansa had stopped flying to manila ,we flew them once but hadnt so good experience and at their price of over 1000 pound not viable option now since others offer as low as 500 ,with only one stop compared to luftansa.have flown with emirates ,klm ,singapore ,kuwait ,british airways .@screensilver why have u listed phillipine airlines ? am not sure about saudi airline but i have read they offer as low as 400 but only problem is getting connecting flight to uk.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights from the UK to The Phillipines.

u could try http://www.philippinetrails.com/ or www.wowphilippines.co.uk/offers/country/UK

London, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights from the UK to The Phillipines.

hi allaboutkaren

I've done london - manila 6 times now

as mentioned, no direct flights

what is most important to you? shortest flight, or cheapest flight? where are you going in Philippines?

cathay pacific is most direct route with some good connections for manila - straight through with cathay to manila, or change to local airline for clark or cebu, I believe

I couldn't make the malaysia connection work without an overnight in KL airport, which I didn't want

I have also used singapore air, etihad, emirates, KLM, and qatar.

Middle East routes seem to add about 1 hour 30 mins to the flying time, then it's down to finding a transfer time you're happy with. Etihad are well priced for flying in November booking now, and Qatar have a seat sale, booking till Sunday, brings them close to Etihad prices. No idea why Saudi is not the first option for many people, I've never used them... connection times maybe???

I often look at Travelocity.com to start my search for flights.

Also I would avoid Easter, everything will be full price and the flights may fill fast. You don't need a travel agent, just be laid back and ready to take it as it comes, once you are there.

Any more questions about an Englishman's first time in Philippines, feel free to ask! Cheers Dean

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights from the UK to The Phillipines.

“.@screensilver why have u listed phillipine airlines ? am not sure about saudi airline but i have read they offer as low as 400 but only problem is getting connecting flight to uk.”

>>clareirishman

Simple reason, if you fly to Bangkok or Hong Kong you can use this as an option, you can get a cheap flight to Bangkok for around £450, then book a separate ticket, onwards on PAL which you can book separately on line specials.

The thing about Cathay Pacific is every time I have seen their fares, to Manila its comes out at around £700 upwards. When there are no Chinese holidays, you can get a flight to HK for £470, and use PAL onwards to Manila or Cebu. (sometimes two separate tickets are cheaper than one, all the way through)

On Saudi, let’s just say they are not too big on customer service.

>>Mousehunt,

Yes, I know its only 2 hour to Manila from Hong Kong but the problem is that the connection is four, five hours. Last year I arrived at Hong Kong at 4.30pm but the connection I could get was at 10.30pm. There was a flight leaving at 5.30pm but I would not have much time to make the connection. For this reason Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airlines are better options as they have shorter flying time.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights from the UK to The Phillipines.

I've used Etihad to KL and BKK and stop in Abu Dhabi (UAE). The stop over has usually been 1 hr 30 to 2 hrs and its actually nice to break up the flight a bit. I've been looking at them for Manila too.

Worth checking out the waiting times before you book.

When I've been searching Saudi airlines has definitely been the cheapest but I haven't heard great reviews from them.