We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philippine Airlines dilemma

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,343 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
Philippine Airlines dilemma

I think I would have to avoid PAL for the next 2 months after reading this news. I am keeping my fingers crossed as I have a regional flight with PAL next month --> …yahoo.com/philippine-airlines-cuts-flights-…

If you have a business meeting to catch or important function to attend I think you should rethink on taking Philippine Airlines for the next 2 months.

Edited: 25 September 2011, 09:51
Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Philippine Airlines dilemma

There are conflicting reports that PAL will be sold soon. If ever this pushes through, I do hope it's for the better. For whatever it's worth, the prospective buyer's known to turn things around.

…inquirer.net/20683/pangilinan-deep-in-talks…

Edited: 26 September 2011, 16:58
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,343 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Philippine Airlines dilemma

I don't know how will he operate a low cost carrier (Air Asia Philippines) at the same time revive an ailing legacy carrier.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Philippine Airlines dilemma

@kegler...I don't think he's involved with Air Asia Phils. He chairs PLDT though which used to be owned by one of the local partners (Tonyboy) in Air Asia Phils.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,343 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Philippine Airlines dilemma

Ok that's good. I thought that he is one of the major stockholders of Air Asia Philippines.

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
574 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Philippine Airlines dilemma

Oops, as the saying goes: Houston, we have a problem....

PAL just went on strike today.

…inquirer.net/21643/pal-cancels-flights-due-…

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,343 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Philippine Airlines dilemma

Oh no, I hope everything would be settled today. If you check PAL's web site for flight status it just stated there that flights "not yet departed" instead of "cancelled."

So I thought that rescheduling of flights is the worst that could happen. Tsk tsk tsk.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Philippine Airlines dilemma

Strike....and it is expected to last...

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,343 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Philippine Airlines dilemma

Those employees who participated in the strike would be replaced by new recruits from an outsourced provider starting October 1. I will surely miss my favorite check-in counter agent. I always look for him and he would gladly check me in even though he is stationed in the Business Class counter and I am only traveling Economy.

philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
574 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Philippine Airlines dilemma

IMO, good riddance, PALEA. They don't know they are the ones that is dragging the airline down. Several months back, I asked pointblank the check in counter PAL personnel if Cebpac, Zest, Air and even Cathay Pacific if their counterparts are directly employed. He answered, NO, they are all outsourced, withonly a few on the supervisor level that are directly employed. So why insist, I asked? He merely shrugged. It shows the malaise or the lack of concern already by these people.

As always, my very good friends' trip to Macau was affected. Their Manila-Macau flight today got cancelled, and their Ceb-Mla flight is ubber delayed. After a lot of pressure exerted on my friends' part, they are diverted on CX's Ceb-HK flight, and were promised that their ferry ride from HK-Macau will be reimbursed upon their return. Compare this to other local airlines when their flight sked gets screwed, I'd say this is a very good deal. Kudos to PAL.

Also, I estimate half of the flights fly out today, on time and/or delayed. Around half is still cancelled.

Edited: 28 September 2011, 04:10
philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
574 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Philippine Airlines dilemma

Oops, sorry, I meant as expected, not AS ALWAYS