We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much does it cost to cash travellers checks and where?

manila
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
how much does it cost to cash travellers checks and where?

hi is this a good way to bring your spending money, how much are the fees and do they cash them right away where?

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,558 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much does it cost to cash travellers checks and where?

Many travel blogs including forums here in TA would discourage you to bring traveler's checks. Many money changers (specially in the Malate distric) would cash them right away but I don't know how much is their commission fee but I am very certain that you will not be too happy with it.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much does it cost to cash travellers checks and where?

first rates are lower for exchange..next, BPI will cash them, but charges a surchrge per check then a P100 postage fee. If you will go to Boracay, its gets more complicated and expensive..AVOID them is best advice, ATMs are best.

fairfield...
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: how much does it cost to cash travellers checks and where?

....traveler's checks? You haven't been traveling much, have you? I suggest bring cash or utilize your ATM card.

....enjoy and get with the program!

Papalo

manila
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how much does it cost to cash travellers checks and where?

i always bring cash, but it sits in the suitcase hidden, always, can i get a safty deposit box at the local bank easily?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much does it cost to cash travellers checks and where?

are you carrying a million...dont mention your hotel....its not advisable to leave cash in your suitcase...but it may be okay...getting a safe box is a pain in the neck, get a hotel with boxes in the room.

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,512 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much does it cost to cash travellers checks and where?

If you do bring large amounts of cash remember that cash in excess of $10,000 must be declared at the airport customs.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much does it cost to cash travellers checks and where?

good point FSRP

8. Re: how much does it cost to cash travellers checks and where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2012, 10:17