We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be careful when you book with Airphil Express

manila
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Be careful when you book with Airphil Express

I booked a flight with Airphil Express for roundtrip Clark- Caticlan for Aug 10-13 for a group of 8 pax. Around Aug 2 , I was informed that the Aug 13 return flight was cancelled and they were booking us on the Aug 12 - reason given was " aircraft operational concerns" . I did not agree tothis as it would ruing our planned vacation . What followed was a nightmare of daily follow ups to get them to reroute us on their Caticlan - Manila flight for Aug 13. It seems that Airphil Express has no real concern for its customer as they will throw all roadblocks against you to make it hard for you to reach an acceptable compromise. I say beware when booking with Airphil . Try other budget carriers first and use Airphil only as a last resort

Folsom, CA
Level Contributor
85 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be careful when you book with Airphil Express

They expressed operational concerns 11 days before your flight? Interesting.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
270 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be careful when you book with Airphil Express

Did you consider being re-routed to Kalibo-Clark/MNL instead?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be careful when you book with Airphil Express

This is nothing new and you are not the worse.

Low Cost Carrier (LCC) work in a as-they-like model. If they find that it is a need to cancel or reschedule a flight, it is their jurisdiction.

You bought the ticket with their terms and conditions.

This is the trade off flying with LCC.

Cebu Pacific, Jetstar, Tiger, Air Asia etc. All work on the same model.

I am not saying that I support or agree to the way LCC works but this is their business strategy.

Google around for other complaints about LCC. There are heaps of them. Do a search on TA, you will read people bashing up Cebu Pacific, Zest Air, SeAir and Airphils,

You throw the dice and you can just hope the results is favourable to you.

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be careful when you book with Airphil Express

If you only used airlines that no one had issues with, you would not fly with anyone.

From complaints I have read, AirPhilExpress has the least complaints.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,684 posts
2,085 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be careful when you book with Airphil Express

I agree Big Jim.

I used most of the airlines in the Philippines and had no cancellations but occasionally delays. My worse delay was with AP and from Cebu (3 hrs) Im not going to complain as this can happen with any airline not just LCCs. Generally I dont pay much for flights as I book them on promos. One has to take the good witht he bad.

Ive had more delays in Oz.

Tommo

Mentioned in this post
manila
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be careful when you book with Airphil Express

The only option given to us was to cancel the return flight and get a refund or take the Aug 12 return flight ( Kalibo - Clark) . I did not accept both as 1/ I knew it would be a difficult process to get that refund 2/ we have booked our hotel room til the 13th and bitin naman if we have to return a day ealrier than planned . My sister found out about their Caticlan - Manila Aug 13 flight which was still open for booking and this was what I asked their reservation office to give us instead. It took several days and hours spent on the phone . I think that it was only when I mentioned my intention to file a complaint that their supervisor finally gave in.

manila
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be careful when you book with Airphil Express

Yeah , I guess you get what you pay for.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be careful when you book with Airphil Express

"I think that it was only when I mentioned my intention to file a complaint that their supervisor finally gave in."

It is good to be persistent and get your alternative option through.

I am glad that you are still get it work out for you. :)

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,364 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be careful when you book with Airphil Express

If they have a bad customer service then they would have not informed you in the first place. I had nightmares with Cebu Pacific, AirPhil, Zest Air, PAL, Seair and Air Asia Philippines. I don't want to book with any of them again but I have no choice. I even encountered a problem when my previous company need to charter a plane and we already paid a deposite of more than Php100,000.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be careful when you book with Airphil Express

I am actually quite please with APX customer service so far.

Once they need to reschedule my flight and they actually made a call from Manila to Singapore just to inform me this. They also verify with me am I alright with the new schedule which I am fine with it.

Maybe this is just a lucky encounter of mine.