We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing my money

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Changing my money

I am travelling to the Philipines and intend to spend $1000 Australian dollars . Is it better to Chang my money in Australia or is it better to change it in the Philipines ?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,318 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Changing my money

Good points ed and long live Mayor lim.

12. Re: Changing my money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 August 2013, 07:05
canberra
Level Contributor
328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Changing my money

Yes I too changed money for years in Mabini or Del Pilar without a problem. Until one time there was a problem. Still change there but am ultra cautious. Never think you won't get caught because sooner or later we all do.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Changing my money

boracaylover,

Can share with us what is the bad thing that happen?

I often change money at Mabini but usually smaller amount. Always alert about my surroundings.

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Changing my money

I will be traveling to Valencia city

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Changing my money

I am starting to get worried about changing my money in the Philippines. If I am going to Chang my money in the Philippines it will be at Manilla air port is this a safe place?

Lokeren, Belgium
Level Contributor
112 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Changing my money

This is the story: my daughter followed a man who pretended the give much higher rates than the other shops. I said "no"to my daughter, but she went into the man's shop, with a sign "moneychanger". She was cheated for 15,000 peso. We went to the police close to the BayviewPark Hotel and got lots of help. They even arrested one person, but the money was lost...(the arrested person said the money was already in another country...)

Let me repeat it: the police was very helpful...

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Changing my money

hi mark -will send you a pm

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Changing my money

jerome -yes that happens but if you had read the forums here before -you would have seen edzen money changer mentioned several times and to avoid people that approach you offering high rates

canberra
Level Contributor
328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Changing my money

I was heading to Edzen but stopped just before crossing Silas St. Don't know why, I was almost there. The girl offered a good rate. It was a shop marked money changer. Had my wife with me so was probably relying on her and she on me. Anyway changed about $3000 au. The little old lady started giving 500peso notes. I said I wanted 1000s as was less bulky.of she had none.she counted out something like three lots of forty thousand and handed them to me. I counted and gave to my wife who counted. When the finished counting the first bundle the old girl grabbed it back. I thought that s strange and watched her very closely.not exactly sure what happened but didn't see any sleight of hand.

She passed all the money back and we left. Of coure recounted back in the room and strike me pink exactly half was missing. Went back and she was gone. New person behind counter. Threatened police and he gave back twenty thousand of the sixty thousand missing. Returned to my room still quite upset and went back again. They gave me another twenty thousand. While there looked around and noticed no papers on the wall like in all money changers. Cut my losses there but the whole saga cost us twenty thousand pesos. Didn't bother with the police. Experience tells me this would have been a waste of time. Police would only get a cut themselves.

A big lesson learned. Could have been worse.