We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Timer - Discovery Suites

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
1st Timer - Discovery Suites

Traveling to Manila next week for the first time. Quick trip, only 4 nights. Anyone have any feedback on this hotel? I will be working almost 100% of the time and won't have any time to really see much. Other than checking out the SM Megamall, is there anything else to do that's close to the hotel? Thanks in advance!!!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Timer - Discovery Suites

Discovery is just a few step away from Megamall about 50 meters. I don't like their lobby/reception. It's dimly lit.

For me, Shangri-la which also a few steps from Megamall is much livelier. In fact, the hotel is between two huge malls, Megamall and Shangri-la Mall. It's more accessible going to train station and bus loading stations.

Anyway, both of these hotels are close to shopping malls and within the Ortigas Business District.

Hope that helps.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Timer - Discovery Suites

All my several stays at different times over the years at the Discovery Suites have all been good. I particularly like its location and the rooms are big since it has a living room, dining area and a kitchenette which is equipped with a microwave oven, stove, toaster oven, coffee maker, kitchen utensils, cookware, dining utensils, a ref with a freezer, a tv set for the bedroom and another for the living area with dvd player , vhs player and a mini component.

Although I read some unsatisfactory reviews regarding their service, I haven't experienced any. Their service has always been fast for me although I read reviews on the contrary.

Shangri-la Edsa Hotel is a very busy hotel. it's lobby is always full of people, either in line for checking in or out or participants at a conference being held in the hotel. Before I discovered Discovery Suites, I always used to stay at the Shang Edsa whenever I want to go shopping in Manila.

I can't think of anything else to do near the hotel except for shopping at the Podium across the street, St Francis Square, SM Megamall and Shang Edsa Plaza Mall. Maybe you can take a short ride to Greenhills Shopping Center for the famous Philippine Pearls.

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Timer - Discovery Suites

Tiendesitas is about 10 minutes away from Discovery Suites. Check out this link to know more about the area: www.clickthecity.com/cityzones/?p=780

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Timer - Discovery Suites

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am staying at Discovery because I will be doing work at a call center called Ambergris that does work for Dell. Discovery is the official "Dell" hotel they recommend. I found out that I will have the entire day on Friday to check things out before I fly back to the US on Saturday morning so I'll have plenty of time to hit the mall. Anything else I should try to do with my day?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
641 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Timer - Discovery Suites

There's really nothing much you can do in a day. It's good you're right in the center of the malls since Fridays are the worst days for traffic within Metro Manila. I suggest you go shopping. The Podium is just across your hotel and it's not so crowded like the Megamall. There are good restaurants there you can try like Casa Armas (Spanish), Kaya (Korean) and Crustacia (Asian)

You can also try the spa at your hotel. It's one of the best spas in the city. It might be a good idea to just relax after your days of work instead of stressing yourself with Manila traffic on a Friday.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Timer - Discovery Suites

I like your idea Gemini. Shopping and a massage!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Timer - Discovery Suites

Spa is closed for rennovations! Bummer.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
641 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Timer - Discovery Suites

That's a pity! Anyways, you can just cross the street to The Podium (an upscale mall) There is another good spa that recently opened there on the 5th floor . Its called THE SPA. Or you can have facial treatments at Darphin. That's at the basement. Enjoy your stay!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Timer - Discovery Suites

Genimi, thanks for the tip. I am checking out the Podium today.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Timer - Discovery Suites

Great Friday. I hit the Podium and on Gemini's recommendation I got a Shiatsu massage at The Spa. Best massage I've ever had and I've had a bunch. Also the cheapest. Then had lunch at Crustacia - very good. Then hit MegaMall for about 20 minutes and was completely overwhelmed. My god that's huge! I did about 2 floors of one side and was done. Flying back to the states tomorrow. I will make sure that on my next trip I build in a few days to see some of Manila and will turn here for recommendations. Thanks again everyone.