We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manila Airport Layover

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Manila Airport Layover

Dear fellow globetrotters,

I have 5-hour layover in Manila and certainly don't wanna spend it at the airport, seeing that there's nothing to do there. Would you recommend leaving the airport for an hour or two to get to the closest Starbucks and is it crowded when checking in for a flight to mainland Asia? How close is Starbucks anyway, can I walk there or do I have to take a cab? Or what other places are nearby the airport and worth checking out?

Safe travels from Germany,

A.

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Germany
Germany
Europe
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Manila Airport Layover

August + Caticlan. Not a very good combo.

Be prepared for delay or you may even need to board your plane at Kalibo instead.

Do not wander anywhere else if your flight out of Caticlan is late. Just get yourself a drink and a book/audio player to pass your time.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Manila Airport Layover

I don't recall a Starbucks store at NAIA 3 but there are other coffee shops to help you along. If you can leave your bags, and you don't want to take a cab, you can walk to the other side though be careful crossing. Also the fare and time to get there might not be worth it just to get a cup of Starbucks. But if you do decide, there are fine restaurants that serve Filipino food and is definitely worth the trouble.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Manila Airport Layover

You guys are really scaring me. I'm super tempted to just cancel my Philippines vacay overall... I can't afford to miss a single flight.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,684 posts
2,085 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Manila Airport Layover

akj91

If you prepare your itinerary well you wont need to worry.

Generally I dont organise 2 flights on the same day and especially if I have a connecting International flight. Because if one flight gets delayed you can miss your onward flight.

If you must travel on 2 flights in a day factor in appropriate time so you have margin for delays.

Tommo

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Manila Airport Layover

I've already booked all my flights (15 in total) a month ago. The respective travel agency provided me with the times, so I rely on their planning regarding margin for delays, etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,684 posts
2,085 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Manila Airport Layover

Make sure you have good travel insurance and I hope you are right about the Travel Agents margins for possible delays. Due to congestion at Manila Airport best to plan for possible delays there.

Tommo

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Manila Airport Layover

Travel agents are not responsible for any delay but you are. The travel agents will have no way to predict will there be any delay for any particular flight nor is there any statistics that he travel agent can use.

Sorry to sound blunt and harsh but this is a fact.

If the flight is delayed or cancelled, I doubt there will be anyone from the travel agent in the airport to assist you and calling them from the airport will not help.

So let's hope all your flights are on time or with little delay.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,364 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Manila Airport Layover

Having a travel insurance is an intelligent decision.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Manila Airport Layover

There is a newly opened runway for morning local flights :) that should help with the air traffic congestion. as for weather, unless there is a major storm, you are pretty much okay. you have to understand though that caticlan being a small island has a short runway. so generally they fly smaller planes.

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Manila Airport Layover

I'll depart from Caticlan airport at 9.55am, will touch down in Manila at 11am and have my connecting flight to Hong Kong at 4.40pm

-------------------------------------------------

If it was me, I would just wait at the airport.

By the way, Caticlan to Manila flights are the most cancelled flights in the Philippines. So much so that there is a government push to have airlines reduce flight options so that there are less cancellations.

My suggestion is that you arrange to be in Manila the day before the flight.

Mentioned in this post