We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

Hi, I'm planning on visiting Manila - Dumaguete then on to Bangkok. I've been looking at both Cebu Pacific and Philippines AirLines. Cebu Pacific seems to be cheaper, but I've read some remarks about them. Philippines is well established, but is higher priced. Also, I've heard that it is very hard to book Cebu Pacific from overseas. I would like to hear from others which one they would fly. Thank You Jeff

New Windsor...
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

Actually SWA is the largest domestic airline in America.....and not a budget airline. We have the highest rated FF program per passengers of all airlines...not a good example my friend, lol.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,122 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

SWA is low-cost carrier/budget airline according to Wikipedia. Who should we believe then?

Edited: 16 March 2014, 15:57
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

I agree with Morjon

1) It is easier to just pick up something to nibble at the airport (or if you are a kuripot like me, before going to the airport!) than pay more for the flight attendant to slowly serve some cardboard box food.

2) Pre take off woes - unfortunately there are very few airlines in the world that even bother to take care of passengers when flights are late.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,347 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

Cebu Pacific has my vote if I have to choice, when all else is equal, hands down.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

Better to go with PAL. Ceb Pac would only be ceap when you buy when they have a seat sale. Otherwise, rates may almost be the same.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,347 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

same rates, still better choice. Cebu Pac. Check in online, if available is the best of all of them and carry on bags usually do NOT get weighed with check in online. Only a few airports affords that though. Air Asia has become anal about bags and some things to make money. They tried to charge me for the inflight magazine I was going to take, only a few months back, Zest said they were free.

Vancouver, Wn.
Level Contributor
427 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

Maybe I have been lucky but my carry-on bags have never been weighed, this goes for international carriers as well as Cebu Pacific and Phillippines Airlines for both online checkin as well as at the airport. Over the years this has account for an extreme amount of weigh over that allowed.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,161 posts
1,636 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

We have had our carry on weighed by Cebu Pacific on a few occasions after leaving the check in counter and entering the departure lounge at Terminal 3 but this is a random thing. If your bags are small you wont be weighed but if you have large carry on then it may be weighed.

Tommo

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

And they have the right to charge you a "baggage intercepted fee" if your bag is overweight,

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Cebu Pacific versus Philippines Airlines

PAL has fought tooth and nail to maintain its monopoly in the industry. Generations of employees have all told their disgruntled cases and customer complaints used to be routine. Cebu Pacific's entry into the game was, as expected, a boost to the industry, it pulled prices down, made travel affordable for everyone, and boosted the tourism industry along with it. PAL did not lift a single finger in that direction, all their efforts benefited only their tycoons and the government officials they coddled. Cebu Pacific had to struggle through all that, waiting for their delayed permits to build and operate at domestic airports, the crew had to watch their customers get drenched in the rain as they've been allocated the dingiest corners of the airports and couldn't even build a shed. Ever wonder why it took this long to get Terminal 3 fully operational? Because PAL wanted exclusive use of it. Gloria owed PAL a lot of Hello Garci money and was left with little choice but to stall. Why would you expect food on a one-hour flight anyway? Go get a burger or something. Anyone can sit through a movie without craving for steak, right? It doesn't make sense to expect "full" service on domestic flights. Besides, PAL's service has never been that good anyway, they've improved yes--because they're scared of competition, but imagine how rude their attendants have been in the past. By principle, it is beneficial for the industry and the consumer to support "the other" players in the market, especially ones that have the consumers' interest and the employees' welfare in mind--not some greedy bully tycoon of a boss. Don't fall for not-so-clever puns and memes: PAL has always been synonymous to PAL-pak! ("fail).

Edited: 03 August 2014, 08:24