We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Manila

Ho Chi Minh City...
2 posts
Save Topic
A day in Manila

Hello Everybody,

I will be in Manila soon and I wonder where I should go within a day there. My problem is right here :

Day 1: @ Terminal 3 at 4AM ( I might wait until 6 or 7AM and heading out to discover Manila )

Day 2: @Terminal 4 at 5AM ( my flight to Puerto Princesa is at 7:25AM).

I do not want to book a hotel room as it would not be much used . I am thinking about going some where around Manila and come back the airport then spend some hours at their " day rooms" at Terminal 1 before my flight to Puerto Princesa. However, there is not much information about this ..

1. Please suggest me some nice places near the airport ( how about Intramuros , Resorts World Manila or Malls of Asia)

2. How long does it take from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 and If I have to be at T4 at 5 A.M , is it possible to use the shuttle bus that early?

Any suggestions or ideas , everybody. Thank you for your time.

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
2,991 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Asia
Asia
World
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Manila

Hi Truc,

If you have like 18 hours in Manila, you can visit the following:

1. Corregidor Island - island fortress built by the Spanish and reinforced with cannons by the Americans. It was used to defend Manila Bay during the Spanish times, and was extensively used in helping slow down the advance of the Japanese in WW2. the boat leaves at 7:30AM is operated by Sun Cruises. You may visit their website here: http://www.corregidorphilippines.com/

The tour is full service, with guides already.

Typically the boat gets back from Corregidor at around 4:00 in the afternoon. From there you can take a cab to Rizal Park, and see the monument of the national hero Jose Rizal.

Alternatively, Corregidor is not your thing, from the airport I suggest you go to Intramuros, walk around the walled city built by the Spaniards over an old Filipino village, and then come in to Fort Santiago and check out the fortress which was used by the Spanish, the Americans and the Japanese.

You may also visit the Museum of San Agustin Church, they show the relics of the Spanish colonial past. The church itself is a UNESCO Heritage Site, part of the four Baroque Churches set as the finest examples of baroque architecture in the Philippine Islands.

When you're done there, transfer to Rizal Park. Just say no to all the touts and hawkers that ask you to take photos or sell you stuff. Visit the statue of the national hero, Jose Rizal. He was actually shot here by the Spanish. Transfer to Manila Ocean Park, it's a marina at the water's edge of Rizal Park.

Mentioned in this post
Manila Bay
Manila Bay
990 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Rizal Park
Rizal Park
1,720 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Intramuros
Intramuros
2,991 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Fort Santiago
Fort Santiago
1,703 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
San Agustin Church
San Agustin Church
1,345 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Manila Ocean Park
Manila Ocean Park
1,757 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,352 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Manila

<<<I do not want to book a hotel room as it would not be much used . I am thinking about going some where around Manila and come back the airport then spend some hours at their " day rooms" at Terminal 1 before my flight to Puerto Princesa. However, there is not much information about this>>>

--You are not allowed inside Terminal 1 because you don't have a ticket departing Terminal 1. Are you sure you don't need sleep for that more or less 30 hours from the time you land up to the time you arrive Puerto Princesa???

There's no shuttle that early so just take a taxi. I know that hotels in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi are at least 50% cheaper than in Manila but in case you want to rest there are many hotels in Pasay City like Sogo Hotel and Eurotel offering 3 hours or 6 hours stay for less than Php1,000. Any taxi driver would know those "motels" if you just ask them.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Hotel Sogo
Hotel Sogo
64 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Manila

yes, i would recommend the sogo or even the sohotel in malate area---or the like that charge per hourly blocks---my wife and i and two kids spent time there before a flight to davao---worth it , save money, comfortable a/c with nice bathroom..my daughter who was 8 at the time just loved it...and still remember it fondly...

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in Manila

@ Truc

Intramuros is not really near the airport, but a nice place to stay nevertheless. Staying there also allows you to saunter around early morning, before it becomes hot. Intramuros has 2 hotels - White Knight (which I prefer due to it's Spanish colonial ambience) and Bayleaf (which has more modern rooms).

Some things I DO recommend in Intramuros are - taking the electric chariot tour (Whiteknight), taking a normal tour (by pedicab or with one of the walking tours in Fort Santiago), visiting Fort Santiago, Plaza San Luis, visiting San Augustin church and eating at Ristorante delle Mitre. Barbaras has Spanish dances in the evening with the food.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 07:11
Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
2,991 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Fort Santiago
Fort Santiago
1,703 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day in Manila

Your flight is 0500hrs. So you will need to be at the airport by 0300hrs.

I do not recommend loitering on the street at night like after 2200hrs.

Get a room like Sogo or Victoria Courts to rest. Take a shower to freshen up.

If you really do not want to spend money, then rest at Resort World lobby but I doubt that will be comfortable.

Ho Chi Minh City...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A day in Manila

Thank you everybody for your suggestions !!!

1. I might go to Villa Escudero first and then Intramuros. What do you think about that? However, I really want to try using the bus ( public buses) . Is there any bus routine to get to the Villa Escudero? or I have a book a day tour to get there. I prefer discovering things by my own ..

2. I am quite confused as I heard there is some fee I have to pay when I am the airport? Just like in Indonesia , when you get our of their country , you have to pay some fees

3. Since I am not allowed in Terminal 1 , I guess I have to book a hotel room then. Is the Hotel Sogo near terminal 4 as I have to be there around 5AM in the morning?

Thank you again for your help .

Edited: 13 January 2014, 08:21
Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
2,991 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Hotel Sogo
Hotel Sogo
64 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A day in Manila

2. If it is a domestic flight, then you do not need to pay any fees. If it is an international flight, then you will have to pay P550 terminal fee.

3. Choose Sogo Pasay which is nearest to the airport. Maybe 20mins by taxi during the wee hours. Do not need to pre-book. Just walk in!

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A day in Manila

There are buses in Manila but the usual means of transport for the areas you are interested in is the jeepney and if you live there thn you will know the routes but if you dont then you could find many frustrating hours trying to find out.

Nothing will be open on your arrival and I would suggest that you go to HotelSogo Pasay rotunda / Victoria Court near to EDSA LRT station then either book 24 hours or book 3 hours for around 500p but ask them to look after your big bag if you have one as you are not allowed on the LRT with anything over about 50 cm long. You can then take the LRT to Cental station which is a short walk or also UN if you want to sit in the park or Pedro Gil if you want to go to Robinsons mall .

From Sogo you can get a jeepney to the mall ofg Asia and a there are lots of passing taxis to get back to the airport - about 120 p.

A taxi to intamuros from Pasay would be around 200 pesos.

I usually stay at the Harrison EDSA Sogo which is closer to the Mall of Asia but not near the LRT. Rooms have A/C showers free WIFI TV with international channels and mirrors on the ceiling but they are not seedy and usually used by young couples often married or engaged who cannot be alone at home as well as travellers.

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Pasay
Pasay
Luzon, Philippines
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A day in Manila

"international channels"

Some are more international than international. :P

Hehheheeh!!!!

Edited: 13 January 2014, 10:34
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A day in Manila

Regarding public buses -

1) Manila uses Jeepneys (short public vans on fixed routes) in much the same way as public buses in other countries - you can board one near Intramuros just for the experience. Easy to spot them - do a google image search. You will find LOTS of them in Manila and Philippines. Disembark anywhere (just shout - Para Po)

2) As for buses, Manila has many private buses that operate on fixed routes - they are unlike their counterpart public buses in other cities - since their routes are not published anywhere and often their stops are not easy to make out for a visitor. I would suggest taking the jeepney - it will be an interesting experience.

And jeepneys are unique to Philippines! A local singer even sang a song about it and it went a hit!

Mentioned in this post
Intramuros
Intramuros
2,991 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines