We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we stay in Mandaluyong?

M F
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Should we stay in Mandaluyong?

I hope somebody can help me out.

For the first time my husband and i will stay in Manila.

We are interested in staying at the new Go Hotel in Ortigas Center (which isn't opened yet), near Mandaluyong.

Is this a good district to stay? We will be staying in Manila for 5 days.

We would like to visit the next shopping malls: Mall of Asia, the shopping malls in Makati and SM Megamall in Mandaluyong.

Can somebody tell me if it’s easy to get to Ortigas Center by taxi from Manila International Airport?

How much is the taxi fare approximately and how many minutes?

Is it easy to get to Makati and the Mall of Asia from Ortigas Center and how much is the taxi fare getting there?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Greetings!

Divisoria Market
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we stay in Mandaluyong?

If you use the taxi, it is easy but Manila traffic jam can drive you up the wall sometimes.

So if you can stay further South like Makati is better.

I am not sayng Ortigas is bad. It is near to SM Megamall and some shopping like Eastwood.

I estimate the taxi fare from NAIA to Ortigas should not be more than P400, of course depending on traffic conditions too.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,108 posts
1,961 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we stay in Mandaluyong?

Any reason why you have selected Mandaluyong rather than the more preferred and convenient tourist areas such as Makati and Malate.

Tommo

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we stay in Mandaluyong?

Mandaluyong is a good place to stay.

If you are going to Megamall, you can also visit the new enlarged Shangri-La Plaza Mall on the corner of Shaw and EDSA.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we stay in Mandaluyong?

How about Go Hotel in Mandaluyong itself along EDSA? It's located midway between Makati and Ortigas and quite close to the MRT station. You can save time (and money) using the train going to Ortigas (one/two stops away), Makati/Ayala (three stops away), Taft Ave. for Mall of Asia (five stops away) or further to Araneta Center and Trinoma/SM North EDSA. A lot of stations are now conveniently connected to a lot of major malls (except Mall of Asia). Trains can be packed though and may be inconvenient if you've shopped a lot. Still most malls are just a short cab ride away.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 03:28
M F
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we stay in Mandaluyong?

Thanks y'all for your answer. You've been a great help.

The reason why I selected Mandalayong instead of Makati is the price of the hotel.

I think I don't want to stay in Malate.

manila
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we stay in Mandaluyong?

M F, what's your budget?

As FSRP01 mentioned, EDSA Shangrila is the best (but most expensive option) in the vicinity. Nearby, there is also Richmond Hotel (there are 2 - one in Eastwood and the one nearest to EDSA Shang is Ortigas), Linden Suites, and Oakwood.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we stay in Mandaluyong?

from GO HOTEL prices to Shangrila is a big jump, who suggested that.

Taxi ride, yellow will be about 400 to 450 as suggested.

What you will spend on taxis during your stay, can better be used towards your room and stay in Makati where you can walk often.

M F
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we stay in Mandaluyong?

Hi leftovertoo,

Your right. Unfortunately, no Shangri-La for me but I can have a drink in the bar ;)

Rates at the new Go hotel in Ortigas Center start from PHP 688 so there is money left for taxis.

Do you mean 400 to 450 peso from the airport to Mandaluyong?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
238 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we stay in Mandaluyong?

Major construction on EDSA just started. I would find somewhere else to stay unless you wish to spend your vacation in a traffic jam.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we stay in Mandaluyong?

yes, 400 to 450 depends on where you will stay, traffic etc. ...