We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skyway? Less traffic to airport?

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Skyway? Less traffic to airport?

We only have one night in Manila and I've been looking for hotel near airport because of a 7.30am flight to Beijing. Hoping to pay $100 for 5 people (2 rooms I guess and no time for breakfast) near shopping mall, but not reading very good reviews on cleanliness. Is there a Skyway now to airport (we would need 2 taxis) that is quicker, if so what area is that in, so I can look for hotels. Stayed at AIM Conference centre before but thought to far from airport? Would appreciate any thoughts!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
1,981 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skyway? Less traffic to airport?

Yes, the Skyway is operable.

One great value hotel that is clean and modern is Hotel Durban in Makati:

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g298450-d625…

It is also excellent value but has become extremely popular due to its great reputation. Just down the road past a set of traffic lights is the 73 or so storey Gramercy apartments, which on the other side now has a new shopping centre that I have yet to visit.

Be aware that (because the government did not seem to THINK and build a far more effcient railway rather than a road) that there is major road construction going on for a new road from NAIA (airport) to Entertainment City on reclaimed land at Paranaque:

…inquirer.net/578335/traffic-jams-seen-with-…

…coconuts.co/2014/02/18/skyway-3-work-starts…

Edited: 26 April 2014, 02:42
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,968 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skyway? Less traffic to airport?

Hotels in Makati are fine in terms of location. I assume you will leave your hotel not later than 5:00am and if you do, you will arrive at the airport by 5:30am because by then the traffic is not a problem and no need to use the Skyway.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 03:02
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
238 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skyway? Less traffic to airport?

From Makati to NAIA at that time of the morning, I would just use EDSA and Aurora Blvd.

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skyway? Less traffic to airport?

yes. 15 minutes max at 5am. 30 minutes as mentioned by Kegler is already being unlucky, getting your timing off at each and every stop light.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 03:50
Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skyway? Less traffic to airport?

The location of AIM is pretty much OK. I'm not sure where you passed when you stayed there before but AIM is very close to a Skyway ramp (Makati exit). I've taken this route a number of times and it can only take less than 10 minutes to get to Terminal 3 in light traffic. Regardless though, even if you take EDSA at around 5AM, traffic would still be relatively light at that time of the day.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skyway? Less traffic to airport?

If you have a Waze app, you can use it before you leave while you're still at the hotel where there's wifi . Waze will tell you how long it will take you to your destination.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skyway? Less traffic to airport?

Great, sounds like I can stay anywhere! Thankyou everyone.

Victorianlad...Hotel Durban looks great but also looks booked - I will try them direct.

Bryantpark88....I remember reading a post of yours about Surplus Shop. Last time the boys got 'RVCA' clothes at great prices but not sure where we were. If it was Surplus, would that have been SM or Robinsons?

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,968 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skyway? Less traffic to airport?

That would have to be SM.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skyway? Less traffic to airport?

Yes keg's correct, Surplus Shop can be found in SM malls as it's an SM brand. There's one in SM Makati but it's a bit small and choices are limited. An option would be to take the taxi or train to SM Megamall which has 2 outlets, the larger one being in Bldg. A.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 06:07
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skyway? Less traffic to airport?

If you want to stay near SM (Mall of Asia) and airport, I think Microtel will suit you.

So it is between Makati or Microtel.