We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure Requirements

Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
467 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Departure Requirements

If a Filipino citizen residing in the Philippines wants to leave the country for the first time to travel to another Southeast Asian country on vacation (no visa required), are there any requirements that need to be fulfilled in order to clear departure immigration at the airport?

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Departure Requirements

All one Filipino citizen needs in order to leave is the passport. Unless the Filipino is a minor (below 18) traveling with just one parent or no parent , the person will have to clear with the Dept of Social Welfare.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Departure Requirements

Hello Zerk

Departing Filipinos also have to pay a travel tax that foreigners don't usually have to pay.

The travel tax varies according to class of travel but is usually P1,620

You can read about it here:

www.philtourism.com/ttax.html#t_tax_whatis

Regards: Jim Sibbick

Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
467 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Departure Requirements

Interesting - 1,620 seems pretty steep considering the airline tickets can be pretty costly themselves. Is this 1,650 in lieu of the 550 departure tax or in addition to? Do you pay it to the same booth where you would normally pay the domestic travel tax at the airport?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Departure Requirements

Hello Zerk

Interesting you should think P1,620 is expensive. It is the same amount my ex wife had to pay in 1995. I thought it was expensive then but now because of changes in exchange rates and inflation, I have been thinking the amount is quite reasonable. We had to pay it several times until she had her Australian passport.

Unfortunately, I can't remeber if it is in addition to or in lieu of the departure tax but I can tell you that the travel tax is paid at a different booth to departure tax.

At NAIA2 (Pal terminal), it is in the middle of the check in counters. Have not been in the NAIA terminal 1 for a few years but it used to be opposite the check in counters and very near the main entrance.

I hope this helps.

Regards: Jim Sibbick

Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
467 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Departure Requirements

The reason I find it expensive is because most departure taxes at international airports worldwide (those who do not already include it in the price of the ticket) usually range from $5 to $15... I've never seen a departure tax as high as $30 before... but thanks for the heads up! I appreciate it.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
643 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Departure Requirements

Airport tax which costs 550 pesos is paid at the airport after checking in your bags. The travel tax which is paid by Filipinos everytime they travel outside the Philippines costs 1,620 pesos and is paid during the time the plane ticket is issued so it is already an added cost to your airfare. Tickets cannot be issued without paying the travel tax.

jersey
Level Contributor
180 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Departure Requirements

From my experience this past month, everyone pays 550 departure/airport fee. I paid 200 pesos for my mother-inlaw(US immigrant); others were paying 1620 (perhaps for tourist and/or workers abroad?).

8. Re: Departure Requirements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 02:18