We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum Hopping!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Museum Hopping!

Any suggestions for Museum hopping itinerary? Thank you! :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
647 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum Hopping!

Intramuros https:/…OfficialIntramurosAdministration :

San Agustin Church Museum, Ft. Santiago, Casa Manila (so far I've been to). You might want to consider talking a walking tour with Celdran Tours http://celdrantours.blogspot.ca/

Luneta - National Museum (one at Congress Building and another one at Finance building), 20 minute walk from each other. The one at the Congress building (very imposing building) is mostly cultural/art stuff; Finance is historical, anthropological. I'm not sure if the one at Finance building is open because I understand it is going reconstruction: http://www.nationalmuseum.gov.ph/#page=page-1

Museum of Modern Art is on Roxas Blvd.,http://www.metmuseum.ph/ on the way to Mall of Asia.further away or around that area is the Central Bank's Money Museum (lots of gold). www.bsp.gov.ph/about/facilities_money.asp

In Makati, I would highly recommend Ayala Museum in Greenbelt: www.ayalamuseum.org/ They have an excellent collection of gold artifacts from the 9th-12th century, "Gold of our Ancestors."

These museums would be in the main tourist areas.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum Hopping!

Thanks! Actually I've done a museum hopping before but my plan sucked lol. From National Museum to Casa Manila to Fort Santiago to Ayala Museum to Bangko Sentral... I speed read everything hahaha. Anyway thanks for those suggestions I've never heard of Museum of Modern Art will try! Really appreciate it! :) enjoy all your travels tihihi. :P

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum Hopping!

JABuenafe is actually referring to the Metropolitan Museum of Manila.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,884 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum Hopping!

@ Mansanas

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Ayala museum - they have showcased items, esp. the galleon trade rather well. However, since it is a private museum, it is expensive (by Manila museum standards). But worth it if you start in the morning and spend the whole day here.

All of Corregidor island to me was a museum rich in WW2 history - I would recommend spending overnight there. The night tour in the hospital ruins and Malinta tunnel is especially fascinating. However DO take literature with you - there is very little information displayed of various places and you tend to be dependent on your guide for most of it.

Are you interested in art? Then do consider visiting the Yuchengko museum in Makati too. It is big - but all paintings. www.yuchengcomuseum.org

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,884 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum Hopping!

@ Mansanas -

I forgot to mention - there are a few good museums in intramuros itself....

1) Bahay Tsinoy ( obviously showcasing tsinoys)

2) Casa Manila (they have recreated how the older Spanish colonial houses looked)

3) San Agustin museum (in the church )

4) Light and sound museum (Sta Lucia corner Victoria) - another nice one and not so crowded

5) I recollect a newer art museum near the Aduana - it was manned by tourism students.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum Hopping!

@ pinoyculturevulture.

Alright thanks got it :)

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museum Hopping!

@ YouOnlyLiveOnce:

I LOVE ART! I LOVE HISTORY!

And yes I love World War stories, thanks for all those suggestions, I will definitely visit some that you mentioned. Been to Casa Manila I love that place, it's like I time traveled. Will visit that again!

Never heard of Bahay Tsinoy, Light and Sound Museum and that art museum, will check em out. Thanks! :)

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,884 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Museum Hopping!

@ Mansanas -

1) Here is more info on Bahay Tsinoy - www.bahaytsinoy.org - it is 5 minutes walking distance from Casa Manila.

2) The Light and sound museum is 10 minutes walk on the other side - near the ramparts of the old fort - a bit further to San Diego gardens. Here is more info on it - …blogspot.com/2013/08/the-lights-and-sounds-…

Here is the biggest WW2 story - all of Intramuros was flattened and reduced to rubble (by those wonderful Americans to liberate us from the Japanese) - every structure in Intramuros that we see today was built in the last 50-60 years!

I second a walk with Carlos Celdran - he makes you see Filipino history is a different way. And makes you proud of many things Filipino :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
647 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Museum Hopping!

Thanks @pinoyculturevulture yes Metropolitan Museum. http://www.metmuseum.ph/

I've been guilty of museum hopping not in Manila, but I found it easier to do in sections or by areas. As someone suggested Corregidor Island is a fantastic outdoor museum (the whole island is).

Enjoy your museum hopping.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 14:03
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Museum Hopping!

@YouOnlyLiveOnce.

50-60 years. Woah. Anyway who's Carlos Celdran? :)

@JAbuenafe.

Will do thanks! :)