We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a cheap smart phone at NAIA

Kingston, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Buying a cheap smart phone at NAIA

I am coming to Manila for an internship in july, and I was wondering if anyone knew if I could buy a cheap smart phone, SIM card and a local phone plan with data at the airport. If it is possible, if anyone knows a range of prices that would be much appreciated

manila
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a cheap smart phone at NAIA

@Sarabaker, if your smartphone from Canada is unlocked, you may opt to purchase just a local prepaid sim card (there are kiosks at the arrival hall after customs in NAIA, but they are also widely available even at the local 7-11s and even sari sari (small business) stores. Globe or Smart would be your best bet. There are prepaid data bundles available and topping up the phones are a breeze (you can have a short tutorial with any of your local colleagues when you get here). The kiosks in the airport don't sell phones, but sometimes, pocket wifi units are available, if data is your only requirement.

Should you need to buy a local smartphone, Greenhills may be the cheapest area you can get them, but it's a "buyer beware" market (gray and black market phones, if you know what I mean). There are cheap(er) local brands available (MyPhone and Cherry Mobile seem to be the most popular) for about US$150 in a no contract setting running Android. There are kiosks of these phones in various malls in the city.

Happy hunting.

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a cheap smart phone at NAIA

You can get Myphone or Cherry Mobile in almost every mall and they are very competitively priced from $75 upwards.

Sun Network is just as good as Globe and Smart. Smart has a reputation of stealing your load and they make it almost impossible to claim it back.

Please don't buy in Greenhills because you are rewarding and encouraging thieves and fences

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,208 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a cheap smart phone at NAIA

there are kiosks at the arrival hall after customs in NAIA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I presume you mean Terminal 1 as there is nothing like that at Terminal 2

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a cheap smart phone at NAIA

Just go to any mall and you will fund hand phone shops selling a cheap basic and not smart hand phone that cost like P1000.

If you want a smart phone, maybe P3000 can get you one basic smartphone.

manila
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a cheap smart phone at NAIA

Jim, that's right. T1.

FSRP01, I have to agree on Greenhills, although I know some other GSM (galing sa magnanakaw) markets in some other (more upscale) malls also exist. I'm on Sun, Globe and Smart. Smart seems to have the better network coverage nationwide, but if confined in Manila, Globe and Smart data services are equal(ly crappy???). Sun data coverage was not as good as the other two in my limited data experience with the carrier, but since it piggybacks on the Smart network, it may have gotten better over the past year.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
4 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a cheap smart phone at NAIA

here:

http://www.cdrking.com/

Ramstein-Miesenbach...
Level Contributor
78 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a cheap smart phone at NAIA

I would just get a basic phone. shouldn't cost more then about P2000 with 60 minutes or so.

8. Re: Buying a cheap smart phone at NAIA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 06:16