We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving terminal 4

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving terminal 4

Hi Guys,

Will be in Manila next week,just concerned about taxis in Manila,as I want to do a bit of travelling in taxis.

I have read to much about the taxis about corruption. I have read that yellow taxis are better, and some people say they are not,how confussing .Have read dont take taxis from outside your hotel,as they are waiting to rip you off, what about taxis arriving at hotel

Its just a bit of a headache looking after a family, not knowing anything about taxis,what colour, when to get one,and cost of.

What are basic rules of something that should be so easy.

Thanks,

O/S.

melbourne
Level Contributor
746 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving terminal 4

i have never used terminal 4, only 1, 2, & 3

yellow airport taxis? i have never used one. they have a fixed rate which is considerably more expensive than a normal white metered taxi

i don't know which hotel you are staying in, or what area. normally the hotels i stay in don't have taxis waiting outside, but a nearby mall usually will. generally speaking, the best place to get a taxi is from a taxi rank with an attendant who writes down the taxi registration on a slip of paper for each passenger. in my experience there has never been any attempt a chicanery in such a situation

there are many threads about taxi scams, taxi safety, taxi rip-offs, etc, you could do a search to get some tips & pointers

it helps if you know approximately what the fare should be, which is difficult if it's your first time, but if you make several trips from your hotel to destinations in a similar area then you should begin to get an idea of the correct fare. there is a good chance that at some point you will be ripped off - but even if that happens and you end up paying $10AUD for a fare that should be $5AUD it's not really going to break the bank

to surmise, be wary, but don't fret too much. enjoy your holiday

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,475 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving terminal 4

For your peace of mind take an official airport transport to your hotel. If your hotel is anywhere in Metro Manila then either the metered yellow taxi or the fixed rate coupon taxi will do.

Where will you be staying?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
1,968 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving terminal 4

gregs3071, yellow airport taxis do not have a fixed rate. They are metered, with a P70 flagfall instead of white street taxis' P40 flagfall. There are always some airport taxis at T4. It is the smallest by far of the four Manila NAIA terminals.

In white street taxis, say 'meter po' when you get in and roll your 'rssss'. That way, the driver gets the message that you insist the meter be on (though the vast majority of taxi drivers now do this).

Edited: 10 July 2014, 22:24
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving terminal 4

Yellow is for airport taxis and they are only for travelling to and from the airport.

Standard white taxis are for every where else.

Yellow airport taxis cost more than a standard white taxi but are still metered.

Flagfall is P70 in a yellow taxi and P40 in a white taxi. That also covers you for about 300 metres. Then in a yellow taxi it is P4 for every 300 metres and in a white taxi it is P3.5 for every 300 metres. Waiting time (stuck in traffic) is P4 for every 2 minutes in a yellow taxi and P3.5 every 2 minutes in a white taxi.

A taxi that has sat in front of a hotel all day waiting for a passenger will obviously be looking for extra to make up for the fact he hasn't been out doing his proper job.

I have caught a yellow airport taxi not going to the airport one time, I was waiting to catch a white taxi and a yellow airport taxi who had just dropped off some one offered to take me. I told him I was not interested in paying his higher rates. He asked me what I normally pay for the journey and I paid that.

melbourne
Level Contributor
746 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving terminal 4

so which taxis have the fixed rate from the airport?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
1,968 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving terminal 4

gregs3071, you were thinking of the fixed rate 'coupon' white taxis. In years past these were known as 'Avis' taxis. They operate via a booth at each terminal where you pay the fixed rate and receive a coupon.

Typically they charge more than what a metered taxi (even in most heavy traffic) will cost. Hence these white 'coupon' taxis are the least popular of the three types.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,110 posts
1,505 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving terminal 4

I grab the "coupon taxis" when the queues for the taxis are large and Ive just arrived, cant be bothered waiting and am keen to get to my hotel. I think last time to Makati I paid 440 Php which in AUD is only $11.

Tommo

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving terminal 4

so which taxis have the fixed rate from the airport?

----------------------------------------------------------

Coupon taxis.

Here is one coupon taxi business operating from NAIA terminals 1,2 and 3.

www.nissanrentacar.com/services.do?id=942

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,116 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving terminal 4

down load the apps, grabtaxi and easytaxi for ease of getting cabs in Manila or even at the airport.

Panay Island...
Level Contributor
79 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving terminal 4

By all means take a yellow airport taxi from the airport to your hotel. Experienced Manila travelers may want to save a few pesos by finding and taking a regular white taxi, but it's not worth it for the new-to-Manila traveler.

When I take regular "white" taxis in Manila itself, I open the passenger door, tell the drive where I propose to go and ask "meter"? For example, I say "Binondo, meter" I am asking if he will take me to Binondo and accept the fare as calulated by the taxi's meter. Only if the driver says yes, will I get in. If there is a shortage of taxis, sometimes they will say meter plus XXXX pesos.

Some taxis do hang around hotels and have a deal with the doormen, who get a cut. Very often these don't want to use the meter. This is especially true with lower priced hotels. Upscale hotels, shopping centers and even hospitals are good places to get regular taxis.